I need help from hair professionals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
You don't have to be a professional really. I got a perm and my hair is so DRY! If I don't put this stuff called Curls Rock, in it, it frizzes and puffs up:mad:
I am looking for something, anything that will tame it so that I don't have to put anything in it and it will not be dry or at least something that I can put in it that isn't going to make my hair feel like cardboard. Help me please!! I wanted texture, but now I have dry puffy bedhead.

Idealy you need to seek another proffessionals help. Basicly what has happened is your hairdresser overprocessed you hair. It is fixable but you really need to enlist the help and products that only liscensed cosmotologists have access to.
If that just isnt an option I would get Infusium shampoo, rinse out conditioner and the leave in spray conditioner use them as directed on the containers and then apply a a good hair gel to lessen the friz effects.
Good luck!

Last edited:
You can also take whatever conditioner you use and use that as a leave-in. Use a bit more than you think you should - it can't hurt anything.

Also, after your hair dries and if you are still a bit frizzy either use the curls rock in wet hands (rub hands together) or use a bit more conditioner in wet hands (rub hands together) - but be careful this time and dont' use too much. Keep the product on the outside of your hair and at the ends, not at the root end as you don't want to totally flatten your hair. Scrunching all over gives the best results, with attention paid to the ends at the end. Just be careful and when you scrunch start using your fingertips first and then work towards the palms of your hads. You don't want to put everything in your hands in one place. When you do this turn your head upside down.

Also, you can was with conditioner only every other time if you want to. There is enough alcohol in the conditioner to clean your hair and give it a break from the other agents in the shampoo.

I'm not a professional but I have naturally curly hair - don't need a perm to get dried out frizzy hair - it comes naturally :LOL::(:mad:

Last edited:
Idealy you need to seek another proffessionals help. Basicly what has happened is your hairdresser overprocessed you hair. It is fixable but you really need to enlist the help and products that only liscensed cosmotologists have access to.
If that just isnt an option I would get Infusium shampoo, rinse out conditioner and the leave in spray conditioner use them as directed on the containers and then apply a a good hair gel to lessen the friz effects.
Good luck!

you know, I wondered about that because, my hair is really thin and it's about to my shoulder blades and she used 2 bottles.:huh:
If it were thick, I would understand doing this, but, not as thin as my hair is.

Okay, thank you all!! I will see if the other salon can sell mw something, if not, I will try the other things for sure. I just hate having stiff hair. LOL

OK, now that I see you have thin hair you might want to go with a DAB of what I suggested above. My hair is thick so I use a LOT of product in it - you use just a bit and turning your head upside down with the curls rock will give it some volume I think too.

The conditioner will not leave your hair stiff. I know the curls rock does. Try using less of it.

Use a pick to comb out your hair instead of a comb or brush. it wil cut down on static and not rough up the cuticle of your hair as much.

I have thin straight hair and sometimes get perms. Have had lots of experience with frizzy perms. My sister is a professional hair dresser and she has me using Redken Styling no. 7 Clean Lift. I shampoo and use conditioner then with hair still wet, apply the clean lift and let dry naturally or with diffuser on blow dryer low heat. Then you can pick or comb through the curls and they will be soft and hold their shape without feeling like cardboard. When I don't have a perm, the clean lift works like a styling gel and gives volume and hold but doesn't make your hair feel like it has stuff in it. You can buy the clean lift at any salon that sells Redken brand products. Also, I would recommend going back to the salon where you got your perm in the first place and let the manager know that you are not happy and why. If the salon is any good, they will repair it at no charge. If you don't let the stylist know, she will do it wrong on her next customer. Sounds like she needs to attend a refresher on chemical treating!

Do you also use color? I found that perms and color are not a good thing for me. The combo really dried my hair out. Soooo, I have blond, short straight hair.

You don't necessarily have to seek out another professional to fix it as there is only really so much they can do. The main thing is that they will sell you a leave in conditioner or a conditioning treatment. For over processed hair, there isn't really a way to "process" it back. You just have to condition the holy heck out of it and with a bit of time and some TLC it will get better.

I like Paul Mitchell's "The Conditioner". Nexxus has (had?) some great conditioners, "Keraphix" and "Humectress" - but I don't know if it's the same as it used to be. (They changed their formula and opened themselves up to selling to the public. Boo.) Redkin also makes some good products.

The main things you want to look for in a conditioner is that it is compatible for your hair type, smells good to you and is a professional grade product. You can either go to any salon that sells product or go to some Sally Beauty Supply (or some other one that's open to the public.)

I have fine hair also and I recently over processed my own hair... long story but I put in some temporary hair color for a costume party and then had to strip it out. Paul Mitchell has been my savior. It brings my hair back to soft and bouncy instead of dry and frizzy. I tend to put in a generous amount - a little under a half tablespoon (my hair is shoulder length and not thick). One application trick is to lightly towel dry your hair after application so you pull out the excess - keeps your hair from getting weighed down and greasy feeling.

(I'm not a professional but I grew up in a family of hair dressers. :cool: )

Hi Texasgirl, I am a hairdresser and with what you've described, there aren't many options for you. If it's over processed, it's over processed. There are products that can help, but if honesty is the best policy, they are only temp cover ups and involve professional products like Lanza/Nex/Redk/Matrx/PM/Seb/etc. PM has a foaming styling cream but since your hair is so fine, after buying it from your HD [as I don't think it's available to the public] you'd use only about the size of a pea on your wet palm and then massage it into your wet/towel dried hair. If you use too much, you'll be in for a mess as once it's there, it's there. My customers used to grab it for themselves when I left my station and palm it into their hair, like quarters' size worth, and then their hair was ruined. So beware. Another product is Emergency and one is called 9/11.

My hair is very thick, very curly, very coarse and almost impossible to ruin but very thin fine hair is very easy to mess up.

I would get a spray bottle that is about 1 cup of bottled water, get it pretty warm [as it has a better change of getting into your] put in there 1 teaspoon olive oil [good quality] and give the sprayer a good shake, very vigorously, then spray your wet hair with this, use a plastic shower cap and leave on for an hour or more. Olive oil is way larger than the cuticle of your hair therefore, most won't be able to penetrate but the little tiny amount that can, is an old addage from years ago as a quick/healthy fix for deep conditioning frizz control.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom