Cooked Brown Rice - How Long Will It Safely Last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I have a 14-year old Husky who, due to dental problems, needs cooked rice added to her diet to take the place of some of her kibble. I was just cooking up instant white rice for her fresh every day, but am thinking of cooking up a batch of regular brown rice for her, since it's more nutritious, & keeping it in the fridge.

I obviously don't want to poison my dog. How long do you think cooked brown rice would safely last in the fridge in an airtight plastic Rubbermaid container? I don't mind having to make it several times a week if I have to, but am looking for some guidelines so I don't make too much or too little. Dog gets approx. 1-1/2 to 2 cups per day.

Thanks in advance. :)

It should be fine for three or four days. You may want to reheat it because long grain rice becomes hard and crunchy when cold.

You can buy instant brown rice...your dog won't know the difference. Five days is my limit on keeping most foods in the fridge. I'm afraid they'll get "haired over" after that.

4 or 5 days.

You can portion it and freeze it,too, if you are with it enough to make sure to take it out of the freezer the night before. I kept forgetting. Or you could nuke it as needed.

Yeah Constance - I saw the instant brown rice. Just figured the regularly would be healthier since it wasn't precooked.

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom