Help on preserving sauces/jams/chutneys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bevjones

Assistant Cook
Hi,

Does anybody know the method of how to make marinades, chutneys, jams & sauces so that they don't go off or mouldy. I've made these things before for myself but have used them fairly quickly and not had to store them for long. I want to start making things like this to start selling at craft fairs/markets but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info available for the correct procedure when putting the products into bottles/jars. It could be a few months from making until they are actually sold. Be grateful for any help.

Bev, are you processing them in a hot water bath or pressure canner? That's how I do them, and they will last for at least a year. There are lots of canning sites on the web.

As well, you may want to check your local regulations about selling food items, even at a craft fair. I would think they would have to be made in licensed kitchen. You don't want anyone getting sick and sueing you. Good luck!

Thanks for reply

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've just registered my kitchen with the local Environmental Health Authority, so that's all in hand. I have read a few books about this - mainly on jams and chutneys - there doesn't seem to be that many books on making sauces and marinades(not for selling purposes anyway) and they all say different things but a common one seems to be to put the washed jars into a hot oven (160oC) for 30mins and place the lids in boiling water for ten. The books advice to fill the hot jars with hot product, put the lid on and leave it to cool upside down. It all sounds a bit too simple to me and I have seen bits and pieces on the net about processing them afterwards - can you tell me what these websites are please? The more I can do to ensure the product keeps well the better - imagine selling a jar of something and a customer opens it and it's mouldy - how embarrassing!!
Thanks ever so much for your help.
Bev

Thanks for your help

HI,

Thanks very much for your help - I will look at the website. Yes, I agree I think the processing method seems more sensible than just heating the jars.
Your salsa sounds lovely - you're making me hungry.

Best Wishes,
Bev

Back
Top Bottom