Cleaning a deep fryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Anyone know how to clean a deep fryer, with the least amount of elbow grease possible? :rolleyes:
The dishwasher doesn't touch it. Even on Pots & pans and with the scour option pressed. Some of the grease residue stays rubbery and some, especially on the basket, dries up, but only partially flakes off when rubbed.
Where the actual grease/oil sits in is always clean looking, it's everywhere else, like above the grease line, the basket, lid.....
I was wondering if oven cleaner would be safe to use. Or if I could get all the oven cleaner residue off....?

Assuming it's all stainless steel, spray it with Dawn Power Dissolver and let it sit for and hour or so. It will scrub off much more easily.

Dawn Power Dissolver.... I remember looking for that stuff before, but my usual grocery store didn't have it. I'll have to keep putting it on my list until I find some.

Thanks.

My supermarket and others in the area don't carry it either. I saw it at Home Depot and bought a half dozen bottles. Wal-Mart has it too.

I found Dawn Power Dissolver once, but can't remember which store. I prefer Easy Off oven cleaner for reomving greasey residue.

Thanks Andy. We have a pretty good hardware store in the town where I live. I'll bet they carry it then.
If not. I'm glad to read oven cleaner will work, too.

Sounds like essentially the same thing as grease that burns onto the bottom of a pan/skillet. I use Murphy Oil Soap and a green scrubbie. I just run hot water over my pan until it is warm, not hot, and dry it - then spray on the Murphy and let it sit for 3-4 minutes - then give it a light scrub with the scotchbrite pad. Sometimes I have to do it twice - depending on how much of mess I have ... then finish cleaning it with some Bar Keepers Friend to cut the residue from the Oil Soap - and then dishwashing soap to get rid of the residue from the BKF.

I know it sounds like a lot of work - but it really isn't. Can't guarantee it will work for you but if you can't find the Dawn Power Scrub it might be worth a try.

Thanks Michael.
And yes..... it does sound like a lot of work. You have to remember, my first plan of attack was just to stick the components in the dishwasher :)
My second plan of attack is to find the Dawn PW, spray it on, let it soak.... and then stick the components in the dishwasher :LOL:

I found Dawn Power Dissolver once, but can't remember which store. I prefer Easy Off oven cleaner for reomving greasey residue.

As much as Easy Off sounds like a great cleanser for the oil......I'd be weary about it staying on the steel canister walls and floor only to mix in with your oil next time you fry. Please be careful. That stuff is poisonous.

I found the Dawn cleaner at my hardware store.
Of course by then I already had fresh oil back in the deep fryer.... :rolleyes:

Next time I'll give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom