So what exactly are "processed foods"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
I keep hearing all the time that we need to minimize our consumption of processed foods in order to be more healthy. I've been trying to follow that suggestion closely by eating mostly whole foods, but it seems like processed foods are more prevalent than I had originally thought.

I mean, I know that foods like Rice-a-Roni, Betty Crocker Complete Meals, and most frozen dinners are processed, but what about stuff like commercial sliced bread? Or mayonaisse?

I guess I'm just wondering what defines something as a processed food. Can I assume that anything that is not 100% made from scratch in my kitchen is processed? Or is it more like "anything that contains ingredients that I can't pronouce"? Thanks for the help!

I take the approach that if it's food that has had something done to it that I would normally do at home, it's processed. Processed foods really took off in the 50s with TV dinners leading the way.

Frozen pizza, cooked foods, pretty much anything made by Little Debbie, Hostess, etc.

I've actually been thinking about this since I first saw it. I ended up going to wikipedia.

Food processing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The scary part to me is...

Extreme examples of food processing include the delicate preparation of deadly fugu fish, preparing space food for consumption under zero gravity, winemaking, hot dogs, and chicken nuggets.

Hot dogs and chicken nuggets classified with those other things. :ohmy:

When I think of processed foods though I do tend to think of the more extreme examples - such as hot dogs, chicken nuggets, fast food, american cheese etc. Yet in all reality processed can simply mean something as innocuous as preparing food for freezing.

I've actually been thinking about this since I first saw it. I ended up going to wikipedia.

Food processing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The scary part to me is...

Hot dogs and chicken nuggets classified with those other things. :ohmy:

When I think of processed foods though I do tend to think of the more extreme examples - such as hot dogs, chicken nuggets, fast food, american cheese etc. Yet in all reality processed can simply mean something as innocuous as preparing food for freezing.

That is interesting...I'm surprised to see WINE listed there.

I was surprised to see wine listed in the same sentence as chicken nuggets. But then the grape is nothing like it was off the vine once it comes out of the bottle... kinda like the chicken. :D

Technically, ALL food is processed. Unless you picked it off the vine and ate it on the spot, then it is processed in some way. A steak was originally a cow, it was butchered and processed to become a steak (and other meats) for you. Rice was a growing thing, but it was picked, washed, etc, and bagged for you to cook. All foods are processed to some degree.

Now, semantics aside, processed these days means adding specific “additives” that prolong shelf life, color, freshness, etc. These are additives that do not occur naturally in the food in question, but instead are added to it (often from other natural food sources such as “citric acid”….oranges, tomatoes, etc.) to help “preserve them”.

In some cases, that preservative is simply salt (sodium)! In other cases, it has a name that is much harder to pronounce. All of which have been weighed and tested by the FDA as safe for human consumption.

I go along with Keltin - just about everything is processed. The things not to eat too much of are those which have lots of chemicals included.

I looked at some beef stock cubes the other day - the ingriedients list did not include the word "beef".

Against that we have a farm shop nearby that sells cooked pies. They are processed foods but I trust them - there is not a lot of assed chemicals, the pies are jam packed with the filling and they taste really good.

So the advice is to read the label or go with a supplier you trust.

OK - I just cooked a pre-marinated teriyaki pork tenderloin. This is more about the preservatives but it's still what I call processed because of it - I cannot eat it!!!!!!! Those flavor is so strong and so offensive. I thought I could save a bit of time but it really does pay to mix things up yourself and marinate.

We use a few processed foods, kept on hand for emergencies, mostly. I take the position if something is added to, or taken away, I try to limit the amount I use. I do buy dry pasta, fresh in the dairy case pasta, etc.

OK - I just cooked a pre-marinated teriyaki pork tenderloin. This is more about the preservatives but it's still what I call processed because of it - I cannot eat it!!!!!!! Those flavor is so strong and so offensive. I thought I could save a bit of time but it really does pay to mix things up yourself and marinate.

I know what you mean...pre-made marinades are always WAY too salty...especially the kinds that come in a jar (think Emerel's marinades). I've always wondered why they put so much unneccesary salt in there..

I'm not taking issue with what it's called.

My comment related to your statement that, "Processed food is pretty much anything that is bad for you"

:)I dont know so why dont you tell me.I have an idea in my mind that its stuff that has been changed by adding alot of additives,sodium,preservatives artificial flavors,coloring etc and basically removing the original nutritions the original food had in the first place. Thats the best I can come up with.:-p

:)I dont know so why dont you tell me.I have an idea in my mind that its stuff that has been changed by adding alot of additives,sodium,preservatives artificial flavors,coloring etc and basically removing the original nutritions the original food had in the first place. Thats the best I can come up with.:-p

I just think it's too broad a statement.

Frozen vegetables are processed foods, as are canned tomato, all dairy products you buy in the supermarket.

Baby food is processed and the only things in the container are the vegetable, fruit or meat and water.

Unless it's a fresh fruit or vegetable, it's processed to a greater or lesser extent. I don't believe all processed foods are bad stuff but agree that some are. I stay away from highly processed foods that have a lot of additives to make it/keep it edible.

Does it get any more processed than this:

pmfp-front.gif

They even take the extra step to assure you that it is indeed a "Food Product"! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom