Global knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cray-z

Assistant Cook
Hi im looking to buy a knife , and have been looking at the global G series. what do people think of this brand of knife ? ive been looking for quite some time , im particualy the global Santoku? don't want to buy something then feel like it was the wrong decision 2 weeks later.

thank you for your time .

Craig.

Hi Craig. Welcome to DC.

Check out some of the earlier threads in this Knives forum for discussions/recommendations on quality knives and the Global brand.

My roommate owned a Global knife, 10" chef I believe, and it was wicked sharp compared to my budget one-man Henckels knife. The grip was good, but I wasn't really blown away by it. Then again, he's now an Industrial Design guru, so he might have a better idea of what's practical.;)

cray-z,
I am not sure where are you located, I recommend the RH Forshner/Victorinox chef knife
It may not be the best around, but at $20 for the 8" model is the best value in knives.
MAC produces great knives IMHO better performers than Global, but at $100 plus a piece is kind of out of my budget.

I have 1 Global--and I never use it. I don't like it.

Then again, I know people who think they're the greatest things ever, and hate some of my knives.

Personally? I prefer ceramics, and in terms of metal knives I like MAC (best metal knives out there, IMO), the Henckel Twin Cuisine series, the Wustof Grand Prix series, and Shun.

Moving beyond the crowd of 420-stainless knives, you will really start to get what you pay for, even if a lot of what you're paying for may be style. My theory on the matter is that $80-100 is about what you will pay to get a knife (8 inch chef's) that will perform excellently in all areas but isn't likely to get the casual observer's pulse racing or strike envy into the hearts of your contemporaries.

Personal taste does play a big role in selection as well. Globals are uniformly well-made knives, but if you don't really like yours and are never going to use it, it's a waste of money. If you can, make friends with someone who has one and will let you help chop vegetables with it. If not, go to a reputable dealer and get a feel for the knife in person. Get a feel for several brands.

Victorinox Forschners were brought up a high-quality, low-cost alternative, and that they are. My younger brother just moved into an apartment off-campus and that's what I got him for Christmas. I'm not sure how experienced you are with cooking knives, but Forschners makes an excellent entry-level knife in the world of good kitchen cutlery! The plastic handle and stamped blade may not appeal to many people, but they are well made, well heat-treated (more important than steel selection, in some cases), and almost impossibly inexpensive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom