Jamie Oliver - the big debate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy R

Site Team
Staff member
The question is: "Do you love him or hate him?"

Answers and reasons please.

Regards,

Choo

I can't say that I hate him; but he does make me awfully nervous. It's the way the camera work is done - I didn't like "Blair Witch" with that shaky handheld camera thing, and this is what his show reminds me of. I'm spoiled for our American way of cooking and teaching - it want nice and clear and familiar. I can't get into his methods cause he has that tiny little kitchen and I worry more about whether he's gonna be able to get that dish in the oven than what's in it!!

I like the kid, but he makes me nervous! I'm always concerned he'll HURT himself!
My favorite is Emeril live.....It's the one cooking show my hubby will watch with me....he's entertaining, and makes foods the hubby will eat......none of the sissy Martha Stewart stuff! And I swear by Emeril's Essence!

I really like him

I love his show because he cooks in a more rustic way, the way I do. You know, he throws branches of herbs on something and doesn't really measure. I think he's very creative and I don't mind that it's sort of quick-paced. His lisp makes him that much more adorable. I have a friend whose son still has that toddler lisp and the cutest thing he ever said was - now, in the word kitty you have to put a "t" where the "k" goes - Da momma *itty tarries da baby *itty by dea fuh. (The momma kitty carries the baby kitty by their fur) The other one would call me bit-be, and this one would scold him and say - it's not BIT-BE, it's biaaaacky (slow, southern drawl needed here). Now, can you guess my name???? Well, now that I've gone waaaay off topic, I'll move on.

Kitchenelf, Are you sure Jamie has a lisp? I think Jamie is Cockney and they all talk that way. I'm a leftover Beatles fan from the 60's, and when my girlfriends and I fell in love with the Beatles we learned everything British. Jamie uses a Cockney accent that rhymes (kind of like street talk) - did you ever see "To Sir With Love" - this was the same sound. He is a cutie!!

Chooster, You didn't tell us you were from across the pond! I hope you didn't think I was out of my mind for trying to explain Jamie's accent. Was I right about the Cockney or does he really have a lisp. (What DO you call that rhyming thing they do) Where is Sheffield - I have friends who live in Liverpool at The Garth. Give us some chatter about UK - we would love recipes from you. We can chit chat on the other thread; but do fill us in, please. Carol

Maybe he doesn't have a lisp but it's just a little speech impedement thing going on - I think it's cute! Listen to him really close and watch him talk and see what you think.

I like him a lot. His recipes are simple but very interesting -- and usually very good.

I do wish he would wash his hair more often, though.

LOL jen - I also think a good scrubbing would do him wonders!!!!! Like I said somewhere above - I like his rustic way of cooking - should be a very good concept for those people who are afraid to just dive in!!!! Just use good ingredients and toss in!! :cool:

Jamie Oliver

LOL! His hair is probably clean.....it's probably just the high humidity in London! That's the way my hair looked the entire week I was there.....just BLAH! But I covered it with a tam! (that's what my granny calls the cloche type hat/cap .....what else would one call the darn thing? ) Perhaps some of his loyal fans could send him caps from all over the world!:D

I love the kid - and yes, he does lisp, but I think it's due to a tongue that's slightly too big for his mouth! We have the same problem with our national rugby captain, a real hunk for the young ones, but his tongue is constantly lolling out due to its size!
Jamie's food is exciting with interesting twists, but never intimidating. We all feel we can do that too. And his presentation is somewhat slapdash, like mine. But he does have passion.
Here in South Africa we've been able to watch him on TV and everybody's crazy about him - his books are sold out as soon as they reach the shelves. I managed to get one for my birthday.
Somebody I really loved on Tv when we lived in the USA was Julia Child, a really darling, sometimes a bit clumsy and vague, but she has boundless knowledge of food and therefore I admire her The Way to Cook, one of my favourite recipe books, written by a true trooper. Maws.

I have The Way To Cook also and I love it. If you want some basic information on cooking something it's there!!! She was great to watch 'cause she was just herself - sometimes she just couldn't get out of her mouth what she was trying to say!!! I know the feeling well.:rolleyes:

She definately knows her stuff!!

I adore Julia! I watched her when I was a kid on PBS! One of my first jobs was at a cooking stuff store....no customers, but plenty of time to read all the cookbooks, and Julia's were my favorites. I saw her on a recent Emeril show....still wonderful! Emeril was even awed by her!

I think his style is refreshingly different and makes me want to try to "expand" away from the recipes once in a while. I can get very stuck on "recipes". I hate to say it but as much I my husband and I used to like Emeril, I think he's just gotten a little to much the "showman" for my tastes. My two favorite TV chefs at the moment would have to be Sara Moulton from "Cooking Live" and Wolfgang Puck.

jammie

I don't think he has a lisp - but I must admit I am always afraid he
is going to SPIT . He is ok, I usually change the station - I will
not tell you what my husband calls him.:p

Missy . . .Your husband is probably right!
The few pages , already iin discussoion on the ***** chef will attest to the lack of camera stability being one of the biggest problems. I couldn't watch the first series at all, I got sea sick. The newer show aren't as bad, but then the content is discerned and other malfactors arise.
Finally,
David

ROFL about the spitting Missy. I think Maws is right, his tongue is too big and that makes him lisp.

The camera instability made me a little motion sick too Finally.

That wobbing, zooming in zooming out, swing shoot camera is something started by live News, borrowed by NYPD Blues and now by far too many Non News/Non Cop shows....I can handle it on News and Blues....but I think it's out of place for COOKING shows...Mr. Boudin uses it too. I like Jamie, and his dishes are simple, rustic, created with love, fun and an attitude of "anyone can do this".......he's like a hip-hop 2002 version of the original Graham Kerr......but I always feel the need for a nice relaxing Nigella or better yet, a rerun of a vintage Julia after watching the boy!;)

LOL Norma,

I do like the fact that unless he's baking he doesn't always measure things. That's the way cooking should be!!!

Kitchen Elf:
And here I thought he was measuring. . . "Some" of this, "Bit" of that, and the really big one "More." lol.
We have a Canadian, Michael Smith (- World's Tallest Chef) Host of Chef At Large, and formerly The Inn Chef, I don't know if your networks carry him or not. His definition of a Chef includes: ". . . instintively knows what to add . . ." which is quite applicable to Jamie.
Finally,
David

Back
Top Bottom