Beef "Tri-Tip"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
Ordering Beef Tri-Tip at the store

PRINT THIS OUT AND TAKE IT WITH YOU

If the meat manager or meat cutter at your store is not sure what Tri-Tip is, tell them this:

"Tri-tip is sometimes called the triangle roast. According to the Uniform Retail Meat Identity Standards (the national standardization guidelines), Tri-Tip's UPC number is 1429 and Tri-Tip's IMPS/NAMP code is 185C. Please look this information up if you're not familiar with it and cut me -- or order me -- a Tri-Tip roast. Thank you!"

It comes from the Bottom Sirloin, which has three muscles...1)Ball Tip 2) Flap Meat and 3) the Tri-Tip. DO NOT let them sell you Sirloin Tip or London Broil, which are both from the Round, not the Sirloin. Or any other cut of meat...a Tri-Tip is a Tri-Tip only.

All they have to do is call their supplier and mention the above numbers to get the Tri-Tip. A little effort with the phone is a lot better than remaining ignorant with every customer that may request a Tri-Tip.

Other than London Broil, this is the second most asked question, "What is a Tri-Tip and where do I get it?" (see above)

Well, the Tri-Tip is part of the Bottom Sirloin. The other two parts being the Ball-Tip and Flap Meat.

Here is a "bag" of Tri-Tips. The packer puts six Tri-Tips to a bag and four bags to a box which will weigh approximately 50-60 pounds.

img_545253_0_64a4c1f7aacf06625e2f567969b772f7.jpg

I prefer Tri-Tips that have not been peeled of their ¼ to ½ inch layer of fat. However, this is all I could get and not going to complain. These paricular Tri-Tips wieghed any where from 1½ to 2½ lbs each.

To cut steaks...start at one end, cut AT LEAST 1" thick and against the grain.

I think the roast cooks up better.

img_545253_1_5ada84c40934dc238b40470995136add.jpg

I've seasoned these with a good rub of Dale's Sauce, my own steak rub and a light coating of Rosemary.

img_545253_2_6a8848df7a8a01d0e5ece97059dda94e.jpg

They are now vaccumed packed for a few hours to intensify the flavor.

img_545253_3_197e1a49f1fa8084287a0372003b01de.jpg

The Tri-Tips were cooked for approximately 30 minutes at temps of 400-450°. They were flipped a couple times during grilling and I used a mix of hickory and cherry woods for extra smoke flavor. I removed from the grill at 135° internal temperature.

img_545253_4_f36e5bb7fe74dc977bcbc2b605736abd.jpg

I let the Tri-Tips rest for about five minutes in order to let the juices distribute thorugh out the meat. I cut the Meat in half (for moer uniform slices) and then (important) cut 'across or against' the grain. As you can see, they look pretty darn good. Yes, they were tasty and practically melted in your mouth.

img_545253_5_02e65d8e622280b44f9c04e893935c0b.jpg

Dear Mr. Butcher, I'm thinking maybe I should go back and pick up all your posts and hard copy them for a meat note book. Doubt I will ever use all of them but you are giving a great training school, and with photos! Thanks a bunch.

ya know those slices with the most pink bits what would they be classed as?

as in Rare, medium rare, medium etc....

makes sense then, as I like mine a Little more pink than that most of the time, or black on the outside and almost raw in the middle, something that a Good Vet could bring back to life again in a Burns unit :D

I order medium rare, but seldom get it, it`s more like that in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom