How do you tell, spent chips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
How do you tell when your smoking wood chips are spent? Do they crumble or something?
I just cleaned my grill and pulled the foil container off of the one burner from the last time I "smoked" something and added the smoke flavor. I opened it and most of the chips were blackened, but none were ash or fell apart when squeezed. Were they alright to use again? Is it just not worth it because maybe they'll only last ten minutes next time?
How long are wood chips usually good for?

pacanis said:
How long are wood chips usually good for?

Until they burn up. These may not produce a lot of visible smoke, but it's there. Next time just add a few to them...or just toss and start over. We're talking pennies here.

Fun!

Yeah, it's only pennies, but it still seems like a waste to toss them if there's 30 minutes of smoke time left in them just to toss them on a burner for some quick chops or burgers. How you tell that, I have no idea.
I don't want to set them on a lit burner and infuse some pork chops with a burnt smell.....
When in doubt, toss it out. I know.....

I keep mine and throw them on the BBQ when I`m cooking, sometimes you get a little smoke from them, and then they just work as the charcoal, so there`s nothing wasted ;)

Back
Top Bottom