Unraveling the mysteries of the herb and cheese biscuit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
Here is a herb and cheese biscuit recipe: Herb & Cheese Biscuits Recipe | Recipezaar

For some reason, before sprinkling the final round of cheese on top, prior to insertion into the oven, the recipe calls for the nascent biscuits to be brushed with milk. Why? I anticipate the suggestion that it helps the cheese to stick to the biscuits, but since my oven operates within the Earth's gravitational field, I propose that the milk would be quite superfluous in this application. Is this the case or are there alternative reasons?

Well just because your oven operates within the Earth's gravitational field does not mean that the cheese will stick well. Do not forget that the cheese is affected by gravity as well and can slide right off the biscuit.

Another reason for the milk is to help promote browning.

I am used to 1/2 teaspoon of salt per cup of flour. Other than that it should work.

Am not sure why the recipe says to sprinkle on some milk. Maybe it makes the biscuits less dry. If you are really curious, make a recipe and drizzle milk onto some and leave it off the others.

Oh, and one final question, what should the consistency of the biscuits be? Mine were rather soft and bready. I had expected something much harder and crunchy. They were very nice nonetheless.

Biscuits here are soft and lighter and it sounds like yours turned out right. Some can be more dense, but they are still soft. Scones are more dense and crunchy.

I am used to 1/2 teaspoon of salt per cup of flour. Other than that it should work.

Am not sure why the recipe says to sprinkle on some milk. Maybe it makes the biscuits less dry. If you are really curious, make a recipe and drizzle milk onto some and leave it off the others.

It's brushed on - like you would do with egg whites, not drizzled on ;)

Back
Top Bottom