Have you ever heard of doing this to watermelon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
I was chatting with a friend from Taiwan this afternoon and he says that in Tainwan his family used to buy a large watermellon, cut a hole in the top, and afix a bottle of vodka to it untill it all drained into the mellon. The next day they'd eat it and, acording to him, the watermellon absorbed all the liquor.

If that's possible I was thinking that might be nice with a good wine or a wine and rum mixture.

Has anyone ever tried this? Even if you haven't what kind of liquids do you think would work well?

No, I haven't, but it sounds interesting. I would just caution against mixing liquors - wine and liquor, wine and beer, beer and liquor. In my experience (mostly way back in college!), this leads to a hangover much more often than drinking from one of those categories. and I'm talking about drink-size portions of each, not something like sangria, where a couple tablespoons of brandy are added to a bottle of wine. HTH.

We used to do this all the time. I have used vodka, rum, and grain alcohol. Experiment and try different liquors to see what you like best.

We use to do this all the time in the summer. We would use regular vodka, but the flavor vodka's might work well. I have no idea about the wine.

I though that was the oldest trick in the book...

Used to do it every Friday, for Saturday night parties. Everclear is a thing of beauty, or your worst nightmare.

Pretty common as you can see, Milk, even here in America.
I first saw it done on an old Gomer Pyle episode, then fifteen years later it was a staple on campouts.

Maybe I could jam one of those airplane bottles in an orange?

rofl3.gif

great for a summer party just make sure people know that the melon is spiked LOL

The point of using vodka or everclear is that the flavor sort of dissapears into the fruit. stronger flavord liquor like rum or whiskey would overwhelm the watermelon I think.....

This trick works especially good if you make melon balls with it... great little refreshing poppable shots YUM

great for a summer party just make sure people know that the melon is spiked LOL

The point of using vodka or everclear is that the flavor sort of dissapears into the fruit. stronger flavord liquor like rum or whiskey would overwhelm the watermelon I think.....

This trick works especially good if you make melon balls with it... great little refreshing poppable shots YUM

Would it slightly freeze? You could make one of those thingy's you scrape with a spoon. Like a slushy.....can't think of the name.

people do it all the time here. and i mean they've done it for years !!!
it's not for me though. i don't like anything alcoholic anymore.

Jeekinz - I think if you added a little regular liquid of some sort it would be possible. I make a bourbon slush, that uses frozen orange juice, tea, and bourbon. I think there are a few more ingredients in it, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Oh, I love granita's! I always make them in the summer with white wine.
yuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm

Had no idea about the mellon. To get an idea about how well the flavours fit do you think I can make mellon ball and have them sit in various mixtures to get the same effect? Would the mellon balls absorb the liquor?

I've also heard of people putting the melon (with the vodka inside) into the freezer, then taking it out a week later :)

Mike

Yeah the watermelon absorbs the vodka very well. Sometimes we put melon liqueur in it along with the vodka so it is more Melon tasting. Very yummy.

Back
Top Bottom