“Life in the Middle Ages”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
From a book called “Life in the Middle Ages”

Back in the 1500’s most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May and still smelt pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell, so the Brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odour. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.
Baths consisted of a large tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies.
By then the water was so dirty that you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying “Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water” --- [Good wife Carol reckons they could top dress the yard when they threw the water out]:):ohmy:
Houses had thatched roofs - thick straw piled high - with no wood underneath. It was the only places for animals to get warm, so all the cats and critters lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying “It’s raining Cats and Dogs”.
In those days they cooked in the kitchen with a big pot which always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and got very little meat. They would eat the stew for dinner leaving the leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start again the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quiet some time. Hence the saying “Peas pudding hot, peas pudding cold, peas pudding in the pot nine days old” --- [Holy smokes, that'd take some getting used to]:wacko:
---------------------------

How did they ever live long enough to have kids:ohmy:

EWWWW!!

I was always taught peas porridge, not pudding.:huh:Was that wrong or is there different ways of saying it?

EWWWW!!

I was always taught peas porridge, not pudding.:huh:Was that wrong or is there different ways of saying it?

Its generally either pease POTTAGE or pease pudding. I think pease porridge must be a derivation from pease pottage (pottage after the thick type of soup). frankly interchangable though. And quite tasty.

I just googled it and looked on the About.com website. It says "peas porridge" and that they got it from The Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes.

Yes the rhyme is certainly pease porridge, (i remember making it for the first time an montesory school the week after making porride like goldilocks ate. I rememebr being a bit dissapointed too). but honestly, its good stuff!

We were offering on a house earlier thi year in a village called 'Pease Pottage' which was between London and a south coast prison. Its where the rest point where the prisoners were fed their pease pottage was, hence the name. :)

All these old things have various derivitives :)

lulu said:
a village called 'Pease Pottage' which was between London and a south coast prison. Its where the rest point where the prisoners were fed their pease pottage was, hence the name. :)
Now that's interesting Lulu, my G/G/Grandfather might have dined there before being transported out here as a convict :rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing all that up guys.

Is that 4 real????? If that is how it actually was back in the day, then yea, I'm spoiled!

I do know that it is true they didn't bathe often. Those ruffles they used to wear around their neck, that was to prevent them from smelling themselves :p

I do know that it is true they didn't bathe often. Those ruffles they used to wear around their neck, that was to prevent them from smelling themselves :p

And here I was feeling bad cuz I have not had a shower in 2 days!!!! (But I keep thinking about all the water I'm saving!) Whilest bringing tears to the eyes of those around me!!! :ROFLMAO:

I haven't had a shower in a day and a half lol.. I am just so lazy with Nick being gone. Well, if I think about it, I can't do the dishes because they are working on the pipes in the kitchens throughout the whole building... I just have to tidy up a bit before he comes home... so why not be lazy? Plus I start my new job next week 3 1/2 hours away, and I'll be driving back here every single weekend. I want to relax while I can! lol

Don't blame you there girly!!!! All I have is my dogs right now and they don't care how I smell or look... actually, I think they like it better when I have not showered in a while. I guess I start smelling more like them! UGH... can't believe I'm telling you guys this stuff!!!!

Don't blame you there girly!!!! All I have is my dogs right now and they don't care how I smell or look... actually, I think they like it better when I have not showered in a while. I guess I start smelling more like them! UGH... can't believe I'm telling you guys this stuff!!!!

ROFL.

Every night I walk a neighbours dogs, I come back and our dogs and cats smell me all over. I shower and they smell me all over agian, I moisturise and they start licking it all off. My cats love fresh sheets but my dog always looks confused...there, I've shared pet smell stoies so you needn't feel too embarrassed, rofl

Back
Top Bottom