Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Bread Heels (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/bread-heels-47892.html)

sattie 07-05-2008 04:12 PM

Bread Heels

We just got home and needed a quick meal so we agreed upon bologna sandwiches.

Grabbing for the bread, I realize that there is only 4 pieces left, one of which is the heel of the bread. (Normally I toss these out... tsk tsk tsk!) I know hubby would not think of eating it so I figure what the heck, I will use it on my sandwhich! Not bad at all, specially if it is grilled. Came out nice and crispy. So I told hubby to save the heels for now on in stead of tossing them out.

As I was eating my sammy... I got to wondering about the bread heels. How many of you toss em out? Then I wonder... all these people tossing out bread heels... that is alot of waste. Then another thought came to mind... do any of you do something creative with them? Or have special uses for them in recipes?

All I know is that I will never waste another bread heel... there could be a day not so far off that I will wish I had that bread heel!!!

So what do you guys do with your bread heels?

texasgirl 07-05-2008 04:15 PM

I will toss the heels, unless there isn't anything else. lol

Katie H 07-05-2008 04:23 PM

The heels were Buck's favorite part of a loaf of bread, especially since our bread was always homemade. I don't particularly care for them so I suppose I'll save them for croutons or to make stuffing. I'm not one to throw anything out.

elaine l 07-05-2008 04:24 PM

I use them in a sandwich. Just turn them so the crust side is in. I like them toasted. Love crust!

texasgirl 07-05-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie E (Post 640188)
The heels were Buck's favorite part of a loaf of bread, especially since our bread was always homemade. I don't particularly care for them so I suppose I'll save them for croutons or to make stuffing. I'm not one to throw anything out.

Katie, do you have a lake or pond near with ducks? That is something you can do with the heals:smile:

MexicoKaren 07-05-2008 04:26 PM

I do what Elaine does - just turn them the other way and go ahead and use them for sandwiches. But they are extra good for toast....

goodgiver 07-05-2008 04:29 PM

Good for you girl. My mother-in-law taught me to waste notwantnot.

sattie 07-05-2008 04:31 PM

Awe Katie!!!! Hi sweetie!!!

Croutons is a great idea!!!

Texasgirl.... I'm not a big fan of feeding human food to ducks, but at least it is better than just tossing it out (maybe). You should see the ducks at our little park that we have here. They are soooooo over weight. I see folks feeding them chips, (BBQ flavor!) cookies, and all kinds of stuff. I don't think they will ever go hungry!!! Probably a little indigestion!!!

sattie 07-05-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgiver (Post 640195)
Good for you girl. My mother-in-law taught me to waste notwantnot.

Yea, I'm learning!!! I grow more conscience of my waste each day!!!

Adillo303 07-05-2008 04:33 PM

When I bake a loaf, the heel, just out of the oven, is my treat. With Rye bread. I have to put some of the last loaf in the dough for the next loaf, I save the heels for that.

The wife unit also likes heels, so, they go to use in our house.

AC