Hummingbirds wearing me out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:) I know you guys might not believe me but I have at the very least 100 hummers here probably a lot more. It was a bit slow in the beginning but since the Rufous showed up it's been a major sugar war the Broadtailed have been here a while. Some years I get a hundred or more 2 years ago I went through over a 100# sugar the next two years I only had a few. This year they are back with a vengeance I have 4 feeders at this moment 2 of them are regular size one holds about 1 1/2 cups the other smaller one holds around about 2 cups the other 2 hold 1 quart and the other about a liter. I have to refill the smaller ones at a minimum of 3 times a day they just drain those feeders. Their buzzing is deafening to the point I need to shut the main door sometimes. I will post some pics with help from some one as I only know how to email them. They cover up the feeders and my fence has more waiting sitting for their turn. When people come to visit they can not believe the chaos on my porch most folks only get a few at best. Early in the morning and at twilight they become really active you can actually put your finger up to where they sit and they will light on your finger you can move your finger away a little and they still stay on it. Their little feet feel like a bug or spider sitting on it.:)

Last edited:
What an awesome experience!!! I see humming birds one in a blue moon here in Texas. I'm sure they are more than what I see, but they are definately a rarity around here. Humming birds fascinate me!

I've never seen one live. Lucky you!
Couldn't you post some shallow pie plates with sugar/water up high for them?
Would they drink out of them?
Do you think they have a lack of food sources this year and that's why they are coming? Or just the reverse, which have yeilded a larger population?

I've never seen one live. Lucky you!
Couldn't you post some shallow pie plates with sugar/water up high for them?
Would they drink out of them?
Do you think they have a lack of food sources this year and that's why they are coming? Or just the reverse, which have yeilded a larger population?
;);) I don't think the plate will work just get a cheap feeder at Walmart in the garden department. Mine just come back every year because it's a reliable source of food and they tend to go back and forth to the same place every year ( just like swallows)plus we have been in a bit of a drought for a few years. Also never try a honey mixture as it will kill them they get a tongue fungus that is deadly. I do not use red food color either the feeders are colorful enough to atract them. The population is large or small depending on how they survive their migration from Mexico to here and back. They also eat tiny gnats and such besides the nectar wether from flowers or what we offer them via feeders.

I love having the Hummies in my yard. I finally just started planting stuff they like. Because I live in a non-snowy place, things like bottlebrush (I have a big hedge of this stuff), salvias, cigarette plants, grevilleas, etc., thrive all year and so they eat what nature makes and it saves me all that work keeping the feeders clean and making food. And they stay all year because there's always something blooming for them to eat. I'm lazy, although I do have lots of pruning to do!

aren't you lucky. a friend gave me a feeder for my bday . not up yet, need help to hang.

hummingbirds are sort of a talisman for me, long story. i would love to see yours.

babe:ohmy:

HMG, I've heard of tabacco plants. What is a cigarette plant?

jpmc, maybe that's why I haven't seen them. I guess coming up from Mexico, they don't come east to Florida.

Here's a link: www.TopTropicals.com - rare plants for home and garden They are hardy, low maintenance plants. The link says this is a rare plant--it isn't around here. Cupheas are a huge group of plants that are everywhere in CA.

When I was in Costa Rica, we went up to Monteverde Cloud Forest and they had feeders everywhere and they attracted an amazing variety of hummies. Some of them were huge! And the most gorgeous blues, pinks and reds. I sat there for hours watching them. My whole garden is dedicated to lost friends and family (when someone that I love passes away, I plant a rose for them--it helps me so much), and bees and birds.

This probably belongs in the vent thread, but the neighbor's cats are somewhat troublesome, not only because they kill hummies in my yard, but because of their toileting habits. When I prune my roses, I chop up the canes (with the thorns) and toss these around my more delicate plants--it does help. Why cats won't poop in their own yards is beyond me. I have grandkids that like to help me in the garden and I get very irritated at the cat scat--it can spread disease. Yuck.

I gave up on them too...they are too hard to clean, and it takes far too many to make a meal. :dry:
Just out of curiosity, how are you preparing them? :chef:

Back
Top Bottom