Fruit Sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slimmy

Assistant Cook
I bought a several bags of frozen berries and a few other fresh fruits like apples, oranges, and peaches that were on sale and now I'm not sure what to do with them. I was thinking of making some sauces out of make to serve it with some waffle and pancakes in the morning but i can't find a good recipe for it. I was looking for a sauce that is thicker than most of the recipes I've seen, I was hoping to find a sauce with the consistency of cold honey, if that helps. And thanks in advance for any advices.

Take the frozen berries, place it in a pan, and add just a bit of water to it. Bring to a boil. Taste, and add sugar and lemon juice to taste. Add water or reduce to get the consistency that you like.

Fresh stone fruit, like apples, pears, peaches, etc., you can just slice, and saute in a bit of butter. If you have some fruit juice or nectar (look for little cans either in the International aisle at the grocery store, or with the rest of the juices), deglaze the pan with that, then cook down.

I can't really give you quantities, as this, for me at least, is a "cook by the seat of your pants" type thing.

Personally, I feel that dehydrated fruit makes a better sauce for this. For dehydrated fruit, I would just place the fruit in a small saucepan, cover with the appropriate fruit juice, and simmer until hydrated. Add sugar and lemon juice to taste.

Thanks for the idea guys, and I'll definitely try the sauce with the dehydrated fruits.

Back
Top Bottom