Which kitchen scale is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Assistant Cook
I've been looking into getting a kitchen scale. It will be mainly used for baking ingreidient. I've looked on amazon.com and found this scale which has the highest rating: Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale. I was surprised how cheap it was $25. I expected to get a good one for a lot more. So my question is: Which scale is best? Thanks for the help.

Congratulations on deciding to get a scale. Once you get yours and begin to use it, you'll wonder how you functioned in the kitchen without it.

I've had this Salter scale for about 12 years. It's performed flawlessly. I use it constantly and have only had to replace the battery twice. It has stayed accurate. I paid $60 for it but, as you can see in the link, it can be had for less.

I agree on the Salter. I have had this one for several years:

7295.jpg

I've found a lot of uses for it beyond simply measuring ingredients. For example, if I want 24 meatballs and I know I have 30 ounces of meatball-mixture, I measure out chunks of 1.25 ounces for each meatball. It's great for us obsessive-compulsive types!

I agree on the Salter. I have had this one for several years:

7295.jpg

I've found a lot of uses for it beyond simply measuring ingredients. For example, if I want 24 meatballs and I know I have 30 ounces of meatball-mixture, I measure out chunks of 1.25 ounces for each meatball. It's great for us obsessive-compulsive types!

I do the same thing, Scotch, with all kinds of foods, especially when I want to portion yeast dough out for rolls.

I am not an exacting person. I guess that is why I like This scale!

img_769399_0_2772e2f38133d8bb62c8b532019b2ca6.jpg

It is good enough for my uses and I like the way it looks.

I am not an exacting person. I guess that is why I like This scale!

img_769418_0_2772e2f38133d8bb62c8b532019b2ca6.jpg

It is good enough for my uses and I like the way it looks.
Extremely cool!

But I suspect it can't do one thing that makes digital scales so useful, and that's the "tare" function. You put an empty bowl or measuring cup on the digital scale, press the "tare" or "zero" button, and the reading goes to zero. You can then add your ingredients to the container and get an accurate weight without having to worry about how much the container weighs.

Extremely cool!

But I suspect it can't do one thing that makes digital scales so useful, and that's the "tare" function. You put an empty bowl or measuring cup on the digital scale, press the "tare" or "zero" button, and the reading goes to zero. You can then add your ingredients to the container and get an accurate weight without having to worry about how much the container weighs.

I love the "tare" function because I can prepare an entire recipe without dirtying up a single measuring cup or, in some cases, spoon.

Using a scale to cook with is much more accurate, efficient and clean.

Very true.

But I don't need to worry about yet another device I have to try and learn to use. Like my tv remote control, and the vcrs I have never figured out how to program. And my cell phone with 10 zillion features when all I want are big buttons so I can see the numbers. LOL It is heii getting old.

My salter scale was a gift. It came from bed bath and beyond. My only beef with it is that I wish it weighed heavier amounts. Think of that if you are going to be baking bread.

^ Mine is much smaller capacity, so it is a bit harder but that is what I do. It was $50 brand new but with the 20% off came down to $40. I know because I was going to buy it before Andy gifted it to me. I think this is it:
Salter Chrome Elite Digital Scale from Overstock.com

I love the tare. I love everything about it except it doesn't allow me to weigh more. Salter makes excellent scales.

^ Mine is much smaller capacity, so it is a bit harder but that is what I do. It was $50 brand new but with the 20% off came down to $40. I know because I was going to buy it before Andy gifted it to me. I think this is it:
Salter Chrome Elite Digital Scale from Overstock.com

I love the tare. I love everything about it except it doesn't allow me to weigh more. Salter makes excellent scales.

I have that exact scale and got it on sale for $20. It weighs up to 5lbs but that's including the tare weight, so if your bowl weighs 1lb, you can only weigh 4 lbs. It works fine for smaller things like hop additions, but is bad if you're doing lots of dough.

I've been looking into getting a kitchen scale. It will be mainly used for baking ingreidient. I've looked on amazon.com and found this scale which has the highest rating: Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale. I was surprised how cheap it was $25. I expected to get a good one for a lot more. So my question is: Which scale is best? Thanks for the help.
Mine is an Escali, and I love it. Its maximum weight is 12 pounds. I have used it for baking, figuring postage for ebay (that's the main thing I bought it for), and weighing grit for my rock tumbler.

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom