Depression Era Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make something quite similar, no tomato sauce, and I use ham or leftover steak. To make it really good, scramble some eggs in with all of it.

I like a bit of ketchup on it when its done.

Potatoes are still a good bang for the buck. A 10lb bag of potatoes goes a long ways.

Thanks for this. I brings to mind my own Gran. To her, a gourmet meal was lamb shank stew. To me, as a child, it was the ultimate comfort food. I'm not sure what my Mom's reaction was, but I always wanted my Gran's lamb shank stew for my birthday. I wish I still could have it--I've tried to duplicate it, but it's never quite right. As a result of the Depression, she would always count the cost of each plate. Even when she was in her nineties, she would tell me to the penny what the sandwich she made me cost!

I loved this! Her knife techniques are the same as mine. I guess I learned that from my Mom who learned it from her Mom....I don't own a chopper. Everything is cut up in my hand by hand. I can prepare an entire meal and only have one knife to wash. I'm off to watch her other videos. Funny thing, we called my Grandma Nana too! Off to watch her other videos. thanks for posting.

I watched a bunch of her videos last night. Her peppers and eggs is a good one and so is the bread one. Her stories are so cute. It is a good history lesson, plus recipes.

I watched all of her videos also. She uses way too much salt and oil. But I noticed that she didn't use any salt in her bread??????

"We survived." Loved that phrase and the little shrug she gave!! Words that we can all try to remember when things get tough and tougher. It is ugly out there for lots of folks. Be compassionate when you can.

:)

I'm making her Poorman's Meal right now. Instead of regular hot dogs, I used smoked sausage links. I may add some garlic powder or Adobo seasoning just to spruce it up a little.

That's a great video. I remember my dad making something similar only he used ketchup and bologna instead of tomato and hot dogs. It is really good. Watching her with that knife makes me cringe though.

Great Videos I enjoyed watching them, they reminded me of the cookbook I have from that time called ration time recipes that my Great grandma got.

You just gotta to love this old lady, Great Videos and I like to stories she tells why making the food. I have made the Poormans Meal before, but I use less salt and oil then she uses in here recipes.

Both my grandma's came from Yugoslavia. Both of them made something called muchnick (sp?), it's some kind of a porridge, one made it sweet and the other savory.
My grandma that ended up in the US made a depression dish (that's what she called it). Fry up some bread cubes in butter until toasty and put in a bowl. Cook up some noodles, drain, put in the same bowl. Scramble some eggs (which were plentiful when nothing else was plentiful) and put in the bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and serve (sometimes with ketchup). I grew up eating that when times were tough. I liked it. ~Bliss

My father was born at the height of the Depression and my grandmother use to tell us some stories that would make your head spin. And to think families were much larger at that time. My grandmother came from a family of 5 and my grandfather came from a family of 12. And back then you didn't complain about what mom served for dinner. You were lucky to have food on the table and if you did brave to say anything you would be wearing your eyes in the back of your head for at least a week.

I love simple cooking. Sometimes the plainer(is that even a word?) the better.

Back
Top Bottom