Subbing regular mustard for dry mustard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaos

Assistant Cook
can you substitute dry ground mustard for regular mustard, if so how would you do this, the rest of the ingredients are this

Light Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing
dry ground mustard
white vinegar
salt
ground black pepper
Paprika for garnish

I will mostly likly not use the pepper or salt. so can anyone tell me if I can use regular mustard instead of the dry ground mustard and what I must do to do this.

I am not sure but I will say that ground mustard is the ground mustard seed and "mustard" is more than just the ground seed mixed with a liquid.

I found this...
*Distilled White Vinegar from corn, *Mustard Seed, *Turmeric, *Paprika, *Cloves, Sea Salt. *Organic Ingredients

Last edited:
can you substitute dry ground mustard for regular mustard, if so how would you do this, the rest of the ingredients are this

Light Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing
dry ground mustard
white vinegar
salt
ground black pepper
Paprika for garnish

I will mostly likly not use the pepper or salt. so can anyone tell me if I can use regular mustard instead of the dry ground mustard and what I must do to do this.
Let me understand, you want to use regular mustard in place of the dry ground mustard? If so I've done this and I like it better, I find dry mustard a lot hotter and I don't like it..I add the reg. mustard a little at a time, tasting as I go. When I get the taste that pleases me..I'm done.
kadesma
Oh I would use a little salt and pepper, it will enhance your flavors

ok, thanks for your reply, I can try that, also I am not familar with the dry mustard, you said it's hot, well, good thing I didn't get any then, since I hate spicy/hot foods.

ok, thanks for your reply, I can try that, also I am not familar with the dry mustard, you said it's hot, well, good thing I didn't get any then, since I hate spicy/hot foods.
Glad I could help. I enjoy foods with a little bite to them, but things that are so hot they do nothing but blowing your head off are worthless. Hope this works for you.
kadesma:)

Kadesma: You're joking, right?

Dry mustard is the core powder from which prepared mustard is made.

There's a reason why the recipe didn't call for vinegar, turmeric, extra salt, and "other spices".

If you use prepared mustard as a substitute for dry mustard, you will completely screw up the seasoning balance (and possibly the pH as well) of the dish.

I found this out the hard way at the tender age of 13, the first time I attempted Welsh Rarebit. I used prepared mustard instead of dry in the sauce, and broke it. The vinegar turned it into a mass of cottage cheese and water as soon as it reached a boil.

Kadesma: You're joking, right?

Dry mustard is the core powder from which prepared mustard is made.

There's a reason why the recipe didn't call for vinegar, turmeric, extra salt, and "other spices".

If you use prepared mustard as a substitute for dry mustard, you will completely screw up the seasoning balance (and possibly the pH as well) of the dish.

I found this out the hard way at the tender age of 13, the first time I attempted Welsh Rarebit. I used prepared mustard instead of dry in the sauce, and broke it. The vinegar turned it into a mass of cottage cheese and water as soon as it reached a boil.
I have a can of Colemans dry mustard, it is used to make the hot Chinese mustard...I tried it in something and it was to warm for my family..Now the reg mustard will break in something hot, but I use it in salad dressings and things cold and room temp. I didn't as you say screw up what I used it for, it worked beautifully..
Remember what I used it for was cold and I may have wrongly assumed the poster was making a dressing of some sort. I just checked and he is using mayo,or a salad dressing most likely Miracle Whip,salt, pepper,vinegar it looks to me to be a cold dressing of some sort.I doubt it will break!
kadesma

Last edited:
I just wanted to clarify that substituting prepared mustard for dry is not normally an acceptable choice. In a cold preparation, it can be done if there is hypersensitivity to spice (because ground yellow/brown mustard is probably as low as there is on the "spicy" totem pole), but for the most part it will seriously disrupt the recipe.

Hey chaos, if you are going to use regular mustard I would either eliminate the vinegar or at least use a lot less.

Regular mustard is a rather vague term. Just as there are many varieties of prepared mustard there are several varieties of dry mustard. We buy several varieties of mustard seeds from Penzeys and grind / mill our own. Colemans 'English' mustard blend contains wheat flour.
With respect to prepared mustards, Hengstenberg and Silver Spring for example make some interesting ones.

Regular dry yellow mustard isn't really all that spicy, like prepared yellow mustard (think French's) isn't all that spicy either. Sharpish might be a better descriptor. Since your recipe already calls for vinegar (which is a major component of prepared mustard), you can try prepared mustard and cut back on the vinegar. You can hold back a little on the salt if you'd like, but as mustard isn't super salty, you may not need to adjust that.
That said, dry yellow mustard is a good spice to keep on hand. It's used a lot in sauces, dressings, and rubs. :)

if you are baking, pay attention to the ratio of liquids vs dry ingredients for substitutions. for cooking, I find it a lot more forgiving.

In the end, let your taste buds be the final judge! For instance, mustard that looks yellow can be our fantastic hot dog mustard in the states which is not good as an ingredient for cooking, or it can mean that similar looking mustard from england that has the heat of wasabi paste, and is frequently used in cooking. :)

sounds like you're making dev. eggs; if so, just watch the vinegar, like alix suggested. i sub prepared for dry in these.

Yes, it is deviled eggs, I havn't ever tried to make them before, the only ingredient I didn't say was eggs, since it wouldn't effect much except the amount, well, I will re post the ingredients, with exactly what the recipy calls for.

-6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise
-¼ cup Light Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing
-½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
-½ teaspoon white vinegar
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
-Paprika for garnish

it would be a great help if you could tell me, if I use regular mustard instead of dry, what changes and how much of each item would be needed, as you can see there is not much, dry mustard and vinegar used in this recipe.

You're fretting too much over this, and much of the advice here is more theoretical than practical, especially in this sort of recipe. The amount of prepared mustard you'll likely use isn't going to screw up anything or cause it to "break." I'd use about a teaspoon of Dijon and not look back.

just taste before adding both vinegar & mustard, & alternately, half (or less). add gradually; more oft than not you don't really need a recipe to follow, numbers-wise, for these eggs. here's to you & those eggs that sound very yummy!

You're fretting too much over this, and much of the advice here is more theoretical than practical, especially in this sort of recipe. The amount of prepared mustard you'll likely use isn't going to screw up anything or cause it to "break." I'd use about a teaspoon of Dijon and not look back.

In all fairness, none of us knew what exactly she was intending here. Granted, the ingredient list looked a lot like salad dressing, but the theoretical advice is more toward the end result of a smarter cook, which should always be a significant goal on a forum like this. :chef:

That said, for the recipe at hand, 1 tsp of prepared mustard should sub fine with no changes for 1/2 tsp of dry mustard and 1/2 tsp of vinegar.

The addition of Dijon sounds nice and I enjoy them that way. If I'm having my grand kids here, and they all love D-eggs, I use the addition of honey mustard and they just love them.
kadesma:)

I have never used anything but prepared mustard to make my deviled eggs.

On a side note, 1/4 tsp chipotle powder is a nice addition to the regular (6) deviled egg recipe.

Back
Top Bottom