Season that pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer75

Senior Cook
I've got a brand spankin new cast iron frying pan. What would you suggest I make first? Do I really need to season it first? Or is there a dish that will be great for doing that?

If it's dark grey, it's not seasoned and must be before cooking anything.

If it's black, it's already seasoned. You can start cooking right away.

Jen, if you check out the cookware forum, you will find detailed instructions for seasoning cast iron.

It is black. And heavy ;)

I skimmed the different methods for seasoning. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do the baking method of seasoning on my own. Swew for pre-seasoned.

Thanks!

It is black. And heavy ;)

I skimmed the different methods for seasoning. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do the baking method of seasoning on my own. Swew for pre-seasoned.

Thanks!

It's already seasoned, great! (Lodge Logic?).

Go ahead and cook a meal.

Lets just say it isn't pre-seasoned....and I go to cook something in it......any harm in not pre-seasoning?

Moisture will make it rust almost instantly. Acidic ingredients will draw iron out of the pan tainting the flavor of the dish and changing its color.

Most people will reccomend seasoning a new pan, even if it is pre-seasoned. The methods of seasoning aren't that tough, but do involve coating the pan in oil and putting it in the oven.

Although there is an easier way to season your pan that tastes good to...

Following Alix's lead...

...BACON! lots and lots of it. :)

have your own private episode of Iron Chef America where the secret ingredient is bacon, and go hog wild! (bad pun intended).

:)

Back
Top Bottom