Prime Rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't encrust my prime rib, I just use a simple Julia Child way.I rub the meat lightly with evoo and place it fat up in my roasting pan, start it off in a 400 oven for 12 min, then lower the heat to 325 and cook to a med donenes. My group is NOT fond of med rare although I love it..We don't need the salt for me it's a waste..I'm sure others will give you the way they cook their roast..
kadesma

As Kades alluded to, there are a hundred and one ways to cook a standing rib roast. Most people seem to prefer there Standing Rib Roast cooked rare to medium rare.

As this is a rib roast, it's fairly tender to begin with and so doesn't require low and slow cooking techniques. This roast can be cooked on a covered grill, at 500 degree F. if you like, or in a 450' oven. There are those who place the roast into a 450' oven, cook for ten to fifteen minutes and turn the oven off. They let the roast cook for the time that the oven cools. And there are those who place the roast in a 300' oven, cook until a meat thermometer reads about 120', and then bost the temperature to 425 to brown the outside.

The key to this roast is properly seasoning it, making sure that there is a bit of fat on top to drip down, or rub all over with oil before putting it in the oven. I like to start my roast in a hot oven, 450', and cook for about 15 minutes. I then turn the oven to 275 and continue roasting until the meat thermometer reads 125'. I pull it and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. I season liberally with salt, and sprinkle on a bit of black pepper. This gives me a well browned outer surface, and medium well done meat on the outside. As I slice into the meat,getting closer to the center with each cut, the roast becomes more rare. In this fashion, I get to provide something for ever taste.

My favorite way to do this roast is on a covered-kettle grill (Weber) over a divided bed of coals. I get the charcoal screaming hot. While the charcoal is heating, , I prep the meat by rubbing it all over with oil, and salting all the way around. I.place the meat over a drip pan and cover. I close the lid-vent by half and cook until the meat thermometer reads 125. Again, remove the roast and let it rest for 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite sides and condiments.

Seeeeya' Goodweed of the North

The key to this roast is properly seasoning it, making sure that there is a bit of fat on top to drip down, or rub all over with oil before putting it in the oven. I like to start my roast in a hot oven, 450', and cook for about 15 minutes. I then turn the oven to 275 and continue roasting until the meat thermometer reads 125'. I pull it and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. I season liberally with salt, and sprinkle on a bit of black pepper. This gives me a well browned outer surface, and medium well done meat on the outside. As I slice into the meat,getting closer to the center with each cut, the roast becomes more rare. In this fashion, I get to provide something for ever taste.

Hi Goodweed,

I'd like to try this method. Can I use above oven temps and cooking times for a 6 pounder? And would this work better with bone-in or without?

Thanks!

Chopstix

And Goodweed, would that particular method I cited work better for bone-in or without bone? TIA!

Believe it or not, the bone adds flavor and enhances the juicy texture of meat, for whatever reason. Plus, you get the added bonus of removing the bone and having an exceptional flavor element for your next soup.:chef: And yes, the method will work with a 6 lb roast.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

No Peeky Roast Beefy has always worked for me with PERFECT results...
4 hours | 1 min prep
SERVES 6
· 1 (5 lb) standing rib roast
· salt
· pepper
· garlic salt
1. At least 3-4 hours before serving, place ROOM TEMPERATURE roast in a shallow pan, fat side up, resting on bones on a rack, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic salt LOTS.
2. Place in preheated 375F oven FOR EXACTLY 45 minutes.
3. Do not add water.
4. Do not cover.
5. Do not baste.
6. Turn oven off.
7. Leave roast in oven with door closed.
8. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR (my mother-in-law would tape it shut!!!). Those guests think they know everything!! Humph!!
9. Turn oven on again, at 375F for another 45 minutes before serving.
10. Remove from oven.
11. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
12. Note: For a roast 10-12 pounds, leave in oven 60 minutes at the beginning and 60-90 minutes at the end for medium rare.
Honest to gawd, this is a never fail, PERFECT standing rib roast.

8. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR (my mother-in-law would tape it shut!!!). Those guests think they know everything!! Humph!!
9. Turn oven on again, at 375F for another 45 minutes before serving.

Hi Kayelle,

I seem to be missing something here. You say that after the first cooking of 45min, the oven should be turned off. How long should the roast be left in the oven that's been turned off before turning it on again?

Thanks!

Hi Chopstix.!

I know it sounds unbelievable but it does not matter how long the roast holds in the oven, as long as the door is never opened until it's ready to serve. Hope this helps. ;)

I have used a similar method that was given to me by an old GF. Not sure where she got it but it sure works.

As with Kayelle's, the key is to not open the door so the heat won't escape.

STANDING RIB ROAST

1 Ea Standing Rib Roast
TT Salt and Black Pepper
1/4 C Flour

Preheat the oven to 500º F.

Just before putting the roast into the oven, rub it with salt, pepper, and flour.

The timing of the cooking is based upon the number of ribs and the degree of doneness you want. Multiply the number of ribs by 12 minutes for rare, 13 minutes for medium rare, and 14 for medium. For example, if you have a 4 rib roast and want it to be medium rare, you would calculate 4x13=52 minutes.

Place the roast into the 500º F oven and cook it for the prescribed time.

DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR ONCE YOU PUT IN THE ROAST.

After the calculated cooking time, shut off the oven and DON'T OPEN THE OVEN DOOR.

Leave the roast in the oven for at least and hour and a half (and up to three hours. There will be no change in the degree of doneness). DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR DURING THIS TIME.

After the 90-180 minutes, remove the roast and cover it with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.

Hi Kayelle,

Thank you for asking! Am not making the roast until mid-April when we have house guests. Otherwise it would just be the two of us and we won't know what to do with the rest of the cow. :)

Right now I'm looking at 3 methods: Goodweed's, yours, and Andy's. I have copied and pasted all three methods into my recipe collection.

I was actually thinking that your method would probably yield meat that's uniformly/evenly cooked throughout. I am assuming this given the method. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Right now I'm considering either Goodweed's or Andy's method because these would produce meat of varying doneness (rarer going into the center) within the slice which will give more variety in taste and texture as well as solve the problem of cooking to people's preferences.

However, since I can't use my probe meat thermometer in oven temps higher than 400F, I'll probably use Goodweed's method.

:)

One of the disadvantages to Kayelle's and my methods is that you can't use the oven for anything else. No baked potatoes, casseroles, roasted veggies, etc.

Hi Andy,

My oven is too small to do more than one practical thing at a time anyway!

C'mon Andy, my curiosity is killing me -- does your method yield varying degrees of doneness within a slice or is it all uniform? :)

Ok thanks. Good to know that. I should think that Goodweed's method would yield a thicker rim of greater doneness which is what I'm looking for for this event.

Now I know what to expect from each method and can choose which method according to what I want the result to be.

Andy is right Chopstix....our method will give you med. rare for the entire roast, which is yet another reason why I like it. Naturally the outside cuts will have all the yummy seasonings, but it too will be med. rare, thus eliminating running out of most people's preference for doneness. Frankly, I think anyone who requests well done prime rib doesn't deserve such a wonderful cut of meat. Give them a dried up well done hamburger patty. :rolleyes::whistling
Now I'm so durn hungry for this I may have to invite some company and do it myself. By the way, I like to serve twice baked potatoes. All the work can be done the day before, and the next morning remove them from the fridge to come to room temp. All it takes is heating them up in the oven after you remove the roast, and it's setting for the required amount of time. Everything is then done at once. Good luck with your dinner party!!

Help! I have a problem all of a sudden. I ended up buying a 6.2 lb prime rib without the bone (due to limited choices). Since i was planning to use Goodweed's roasting method for a standing rib roast, how should I change the temp/time given that my roast has no bone? I'm planning the dinner for this Saturday. Many thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom