Leftover whey from ricotta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Sous Chef
I made some ricotta this morning, and was wondering if there was anything I could do with the whey?

I read that you can't make more ricotta from whey leftover from making an acid (activated) cheese. So I think you just have to throw it out...but what do I know...i never made homemade ricotta. Way to go jet!

some people claim there are things to so with whey, like add to soup stock, use in place of water in making bread, but personally, I let it flow down the drain...funny, I made a ricotta this morning too. I have 5 different recipes for ricotta, some with no rennet and one that is highly renneted. You can make a secondary cheese from the highly renneted ricotta, immediately after making the first cheese. But I create so much whey that I do not try to utilize it. Oh, feeding it to pigs is good, if you have a pig.

The whey is left over from making the cheese. I have always just thrown it on the lawn, I did it this time. It was right after that I wondered if there was any use for it.

Actually there are a lot of uses for it, I just can't think of it right now.

I know my grandfather used to drink it instead of water.

some people claim there are things to so with whey, like add to soup stock, use in place of water in making bread, but personally, I let it flow down the drain...funny, I made a ricotta this morning too. I have 5 different recipes for ricotta, some with no rennet and one that is highly renneted. You can make a secondary cheese from the highly renneted ricotta, immediately after making the first cheese. But I create so much whey that I do not try to utilize it. Oh, feeding it to pigs is good, if you have a pig.

I was gonna say feed it to the pigs.

The Whey is used as a filler in a ton of different products. Look on the ingredient labels of cheap garlic, whey powder is sometimes the #1 ingredient. Cheap ice cream is another big user and yes, in feed formula for all of our precious pets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom