Cooking on a single hob gas stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Svarcy

Assistant Cook
Hi Guys,

First time I've posted in a while, my kitchen at home is non existent at the mo, I have no oven and only a camping single hob stove borrowed from my neighbor, it's going to be about 2-3 weeks until I have an oven installed so just wondered if you guys could give me some ideas or recipes on what to cook on my camping stove!

I cannot wait for the new kitchen to be done!!

Often during the hurricane season we lose power on the gulf coast. Sometimes for days or weeks. Camp stoves and propane grills quickly become the only viable method for cooking.

For the camp stove. You can make a reasonable spaghetti, soup, stew, chilli.

On the propane grill you can not only cook meats but also, bake biscuits, pizza, and cornbread by putting a pizza stone on the grates.

Last edited:
What is really excellent is a carbon steel paella pan. These pans come in various sizes, all heat evenly allowing large quantities of food to be cooked on just the one gas ring. The beauty of using a paellla pan is, food that is cooked through may be placed at the outer edges of the pan to keep warm, while the rest is cooked nearer the centre.

Paella pans always come with steel handles either side, so may be brought to the table. Some pans are stainless steel, but can be costly. Carbon steel are cheaper, so the choice is yours. I reccomend a 16-20 inch diameter pan. Just ensure you wear either an oven glove or a folded teatowel when touching the handles, as they will get very hot.

Back
Top Bottom