What 6 spices or herbs or combination should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
I started buying spices from penzeys and I'm going over tomorrow to buy 6 or maybe 7 spices or herbs or a combination should I get?

I already have vanilla beans, coriander, smoked paprika.

I know for sure I will be getting sweet paprika and saffran.

I would get :
thyme
bay leaves
rosemary
sage and /or poultry seasoning
Montreal steak seasoning
Old Bay Seasoning
Cinnamon
allspice
cloves
ginger

I know that this is more than you asked for. The last four are primarily for baking but are also used in some savory dishes. The Montreal and the Old Bay you may need to get in the grocery store and they have more limited uses than the other seasonings. Hope this helps.

penzeys? I suggest real New Zealand wasabi powder sold there, not that fake green horseradish stuff at supermarkets and most sushi restaurants.

Last edited:
penzys threw in some cinnamon sticks,bay leaves and nutmeg as a freebie with both my gift boxes I received.

I am diggin their salt free blends.

Fines Herbes, Herbes de Provence, Sunny Spain Seasoning (lemon pepper), Toasted Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Tellicherry Extra Bold Peppercorns, Garam Masala, Cinnamon...

I started buying spices from penzeys and I'm going over tomorrow to buy 6 or maybe 7 spices or herbs or a combination should I get?

To me, it all depends on what you plan on cooking during the spices' lifetime.

penzeys? I suggest real New Zealand wasabi powder sold there, not that fake green horseradish stuff at supermarkets and most sushi restaurants.

I meant that I going to the penzeys store tomorrow to buy some spices & herbs.

Thanks Everyone!

I want to buy the spices and herbs that are mostry used in recipes.

I meant that I going to the penzeys store tomorrow to buy some spices & herbs.

Thanks Everyone!

I want to buy the spices and herbs that are mostry used in recipes.

Penzeys is the best store/catalog of dried spices/herbs, mostly used in recipes or not, such as rarely sold real wasabi. I highly recommend Penzeys, and suggest you shop it.

Last edited:

My go-to herb blend is dried herbes de Provence. Everyone makes theirs differently, but basically, it should contain Marjoram, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Tarragon and Savory. plus lavender greens.

I take it Penzey's is better than Tone's? :LOL: I suddenly feel ashamed of my spice rack :ermm: Not really... but I will definitely check out Penzey's! My dh gives me flack all the time for the wide array of spices I have. I think that most of them are equally important! And since the little Tone's spices are only .77 at the store I pick a new one up about once a week. I don't think I could pick only 6! But here are my most frequently used:

Cinnamon
Ginger
Nutmeg
Chili Powder
Cumin
Basil
Sage
Thyme
Rosemary

Take a look at: penzeys.com

I was just there :) Actually, still there... having a slow day at work today.

To the OP, it looks like they have some packages that include some of the most commonly used spices/herbs. It really depends on your cooking style as to which spices you'll use most.

We eat a lot of salads in my house, and I'm always looking for something different. I highly recommend their Sicilian Salad Seasoning (also good on pasta) and Creamy Peppercorn. I had a year, a couple of years ago, when I couldn't get any good "fresh" garlic, and their various dried garlic seasonings saved my life! Life without garlic? Who'd want to live?

All of the above, with special emphasis on oregano, rosemary, ground ginger, and thyme. Juniper berries are useful in helping to save one's gin for drinking. We have about 30 different spices that we find handy.

Back
Top Bottom