Plain chicken with nothing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xagar

Assistant Cook
Hey guys any help is much appreciated, I'm a total newb and the most sophisticated thing I've ever cooked before was a scrambled egg. I just bought some frozen chicken breasts and I have no idea what to do with them. I put them in the fridge to unfreeze without bacteria taking over, but then what?

I spent like half an hour on google trying to find out how to cook or microwave or whatnot chicken, but all results talk about marinating or stuffing or outdoors barbeque or whatever...

I just want to eat it plain, with some rice and some vegetables for now. What's the fastest, easiest way to make this chunk of icechicken edible? Do I throw it in a pot with some water and just wait til it's ready? Do I put it in a pan? If so, do I need to also put water or oil? How much? How long?

Very basic question but hopefully very easy to answer! Google doesn't know the answer though! So finally I googled cooking forum :)

Thanks!!

-X

Welcome!
You can run cold water over the chicken until it's completely thawed.
Then pat dry with paper towels.

Preheat oven to 375-400 degrees.

Spray some non-stick cooking spray on some tin foil and place in a baking dish.

i know you said that you wanted "Plain chicken" but I would recommend at least rubbing the chicken breasts with some olive oil and adding some spices of your choice to give it some flavor.

Depending on the thickness of the breasts and your oven, you'll need to cook anywhere from 45 minutes or longer.

Just check the chicken periodically by cutting the center of the chicken breasts until it's easy to cut and not pink inside.

A faster way to cook the chicken once it's thawed is to fry it on the stove with some olive oil and spices.

Those are a few of the most basic tips that I can give you.

Good luck & enjoy!

:)

Last edited:
P.S. Never try to "cook" chicken in the microwave...only to re-heat chicken that has already been cooked.

I can suggest to you, just rubbed with salt and pepper. When it is already thawed, then,
you can either cook it in a oven or just fry it. If you're gonna bake it, you should cut it at 1" or 1 1/2" thick so that it will be cooked nicely. And it you're gonna fry it, just cut it to smaller parts. :)

Thanks guys, very helpful. I'm gonna cook my first chicken today. :)

Cut it into bite sized pieces. Get a pan hot with some olive oil and put the chicken in. Add a little salt. Toss the chicken around until it is cooked. You can test by taking a piece and cutting it open to make sure it is cooked all the way through. Save the microwave for cooking the veggies that you will eat with it.

Awesome... sounds like that's the easiest way eh! Thanks everybody.

I am not sure where you are located, but if you have a Trader Joes near you then you are in luck. I buy their simmering sauces. They have all different types. I also get their frozen veggie mixes. I cook the chicken as I described and then when it is done I pour in a jar of simmering sauce and toss in a few handfuls of frozen veggies. I let that cook until the veggies are heated through and then I serve that over rice or couscous or some of the other grain blends that Trader Joes has. It is a quick, inexpensive, filling, delicious, easy meal to make.

Back
Top Bottom