Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/)
-   -   Gooey Cornbread (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/gooey-cornbread-68360.html)

mudbug 11-17-2010 01:30 PM

Gooey Cornbread

I went looking for this other recipe that I posted ages ago. Worth bringing up again.
--Mud

This is good to eat when the weather starts getting cooler.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 T butter
2 cups finelychoped yellow onion
8 oz sour cream
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1 T granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz can cream style corn
1/4 cup milk
dash of Tabasco

Place oil in 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in oven while heating to 375.

In another skillet, melt butter and soften the onions. Set aside to cool.
When cooled, add the sour cream and half of the cheese; stir to combine and set aside again.

In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, sugar, eggs, corn, milk, and hot sauce. Using hot pads, remove skillet from oven and carefully pour the hot oil into the batter. Stir to combine. Spoon batter back into skillet and smooth the top.

Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the top of the batter (seems to work better using an offset spatula). Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes and do the toothpick thing. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges.

snickerdoodle 11-17-2010 02:21 PM

Wow does that sound good! I'm definitely copying and pasting. Here it is YOUR birthday and I'm getting a gift from you :)

mudbug 11-17-2010 02:37 PM

not your mom's cornbread, but real good anyway, snickerdoodle.

snickerdoodle 11-24-2010 11:35 AM

I'm making this tonight to have with our chili. Yummmm!!! I'm sure I'll return here with rave reviews... possibly a picture too! I don't have a cast iron skillet though... I'll need to work around that somehow.

Rocklobster 11-24-2010 01:50 PM

I don't know if I can find self rising corn-meal. Can I use regular cornmeal and add baking powder?

mudbug 11-30-2010 03:27 PM

I dunno, Rocklobster. probably. someone around here will be able to give you some guidance.

Zhizara 11-30-2010 09:28 PM

Why not just grab a box of Jiffy mix cornbread and start from there? It's already measured and mixed dry ingredients.

snickerdoodle 12-01-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhizara (Post 943543)
Why not just grab a box of Jiffy mix cornbread and start from there? It's already measured and mixed dry ingredients.

You know, I found the self rising cornmeal but didn't want to pay $4 for the bag, unsure of when I would use it again. So, I bought a box of Jiffy mix and added creamed corn and shredded cheese. They were good but I was missing the sour cream so I'll try to add that next time.

Rocklobster, I did find a website that said adding baking powder to cornmeal would be a good subsitute for self rising cornmeal. Not sure what proportions though.

I still really want to try this recipe as-is so I'll keep you posted on when I do that.

Rocklobster 12-01-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snickerdoodle (Post 943749)
You know, I found the self rising cornmeal but didn't want to pay $4 for the bag, unsure of when I would use it again. So, I bought a box of Jiffy mix and added creamed corn and shredded cheese. They were good but I was missing the sour cream so I'll try to add that next time.

Rocklobster, I did find a website that said adding baking powder to cornmeal would be a good subsitute for self rising cornmeal. Not sure what proportions though.

I still really want to try this recipe as-is so I'll keep you posted on when I do that.

Thanks. When flying by the seat of my pants, I usually go by about 1 tsp baking powder per 1 cup of flour.

mkaylady 12-01-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbug (Post 938788)
I went looking for this other recipe that I posted ages ago. Worth bringing up again.
--Mud

This is good to eat when the weather starts getting cooler.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 T butter
2 cups finelychoped yellow onion
8 oz sour cream
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1 T granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz can cream style corn
1/4 cup milk
dash of Tabasco

Place oil in 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in oven while heating to 375.

In another skillet, melt butter and soften the onions. Set aside to cool.
When cooled, add the sour cream and half of the cheese; stir to combine and set aside again.

In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, sugar, eggs, corn, milk, and hot sauce. Using hot pads, remove skillet from oven and carefully pour the hot oil into the batter. Stir to combine. Spoon batter back into skillet and smooth the top.

Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the top of the batter (seems to work better using an offset spatula). Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes and do the toothpick thing. Let cool slightly before cutting into wedges.

That sounds delicious!