ISO homemade dry waffle mix for 80 yr old??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riley

Assistant Cook
Hoping that someone can help me out.
I would like to give my 80 yr old mother a waffle iron for Christmas.
I have some misgivings since, at this point, she is only able to prepare VERY simple recipes. A commercial prepared mix will not work as the sodium content is high and this is something she worries about.

So, what I would like to do is provide her with a premade dry mix for the waffles. I would like to keep the wet ingredients very simple. She always keeps skim milk, egg beaters and canola oil on hand. I realize that with these requirements the waffles might not taste as good. Believe me, ease of preparation and healthiness are most important to her.

I found this recipe online. Dry ingredients:

3 1/2 cup(s) flour
1/4 cup(s) sugar
4 teaspoon(s) baking
showlist_icon.gif
powder
showlist_icon.gif

2 teaspoon(s) baking soda

For waffles: Heat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Place 1 cup mix in a medium mixing bowl. Beat 1 egg, 1 tablespoon melted butter, 3/4 cup buttermilk, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla together and stir into dry mix until just combined. Lightly oil the iron plates, add batter (waffle iron capacities vary), and cook until waffles are golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes.

Makes four 5-inch square waffles.

Do you think this is a good recipe? Does anyone have any suggestions or better recipes??

Sorry for all of the constraints - she has become very picky.

Thanks so much!!!

Okay, first off, the recipe you have picked has a high sodium content in just the baking powder and baking soda. It contains 4,320 mg sodium, without even using salt! That's over 1000 mg for each waffle.

For reference in looking at recipes:
Serving size of Baking Powder=1/8 teaspoon, sodium=60 mg.
Serving size of Baking Soda=1/8 teaspoon, sodium=150mg.

I took these off the Clabber Girl Baking Powder and the Arm & Hammer Baking Soda.

Salt has 530 mg per 1/4 teaspoon.

You might be better off looking for a low-sodium mix. I did a search and high sodium content is prevalent in pancake and waffle mixes.

Sorry, I'm not much help with an actual recipe.

OMG:ohmy: Thank you so much for letting me know. I am not much of a baker, so I wasn't aware of the sodium content of baking powder and soda. Wow. I will look for the low sodium mix as you recommended. This is becoming more complicated than I thought...

thanks again.

OMG:ohmy: Thank you so much for letting me know. I am not much of a baker, so I wasn't aware of the sodium content of baking powder and soda. Wow. I will look for the low sodium mix as you recommended. This is becoming more complicated than I thought...

thanks again.

Glad to help, I like working on the dietary/nutrition side of cooking. Good thing I had a calculator nearby:)

Thanks Janet! I have a Mom's organic market nearby. The have Featherlight baking powder and I am hoping that they also stock Ener-G baking soda. I think a few spices will be necessary! I wonder why most recipes call for even more added salt when the baking powder and soda have so much?

You all have been a great help! Thanks, really.

Okay, first off, the recipe you have picked has a high sodium content in just the baking powder and baking soda. It contains 4,320 mg sodium, without even using salt! That's over 1000 mg for each waffle.

For reference in looking at recipes:
Serving size of Baking Powder=1/8 teaspoon, sodium=60 mg.
Serving size of Baking Soda=1/8 teaspoon, sodium=150mg.

I took these off the Clabber Girl Baking Powder and the Arm & Hammer Baking Soda.

Salt has 530 mg per 1/4 teaspoon.

You might be better off looking for a low-sodium mix. I did a search and high sodium content is prevalent in pancake and waffle mixes.

Sorry, I'm not much help with an actual recipe.

Hi again! Was just reading through your post again. Actually, it may not be quite as bad as we thought. There would be 4320 mg in the entire batch of dry ingredients. Each preparation of waffles would have 1080 mg. But, this would yield a total of 4 waffles with 270 mg per waffle.
That's not too bad.

I am thinking of just getting the salt-free baking powder and going with regular baking soda. If my calculations are correct, the baking soda would provide 150mg per individual waffle.

Not sure how these will taste...

Thanks again. It has really been a learning experience. If I am incorrect in any of my math, please let me know. It wouldn't be the first time!

Christine

I based my calculations on this from your original post:

Makes four 5-inch square waffles.

But, ya know, I've been wrong before :)

Back
Top Bottom