Sticky pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgoldi68

Assistant Cook
HI,

I am new to the forum.
Have a question about stick pans.

Is there an oil, butter or other ingredient I could use so that whatever I cook won't stick to the pan? Is there a certain oil or butter you recommend?

Thank you for your assistance.

Jgoldi68 :chef:

Hello and welcome to DC.

I assume you mean pans without a teflon (non-stick) coating.

If you are cooking a protein (meat, poultry, fish) in a metal pan, the fat pretty much doesn't matter.

Here's the key. Start with a clean pan and heat it to temperature then add the fat you choose to use and get that hot too.

Make sure the meat is dry on the surface and place it into the fat in the pan. Leave it alone for several minutes. Don't try to move it. It's stuck to the pan. After several minutes, a crust will form on the underside of the meat and it will release itself from the pan. Then you can turn it over and do the same on the second side.

The key is to add the dry protein to a clean hot pan with hot fat and to have PATIENCE so it can unstick itself.

Hello and welcome to DC.

I assume you mean pans without a teflon (non-stick) coating.

If you are cooking a protein (meat, poultry, fish) in a metal pan, the fat pretty much doesn't matter.

Here's the key. Start with a clean pan and heat it to temperature then add the fat you choose to use and get that hot too.

Make sure the meat is dry on the surface and place it into the fat in the pan. Leave it alone for several minutes. Don't try to move it. It's stuck to the pan. After several minutes, a crust will form on the underside of the meat and it will release itself from the pan. Then you can turn it over and do the same on the second side.

The key is to add the dry protein to a clean hot pan with hot fat and to have PATIENCE so it can unstick itself.

If this is an instance where I should not use a spray, can you explain why?

I don't like sprays because they are expensive and have a lot of packaging for a small amount of product. I use a tiny bit of oil, and rub it into the pan surface with a bit of paper towel. Does the same thing as a spray for a fraction of the cost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom