Egg question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
What is the difference between a baked custard, a flan and a creme brulee, I mean other than the burnt sugar on the brulee and the caramel on the flan. Seems to me they are all basically the same thing. And if that is true what is the big deal about creme brulee? People talk about it like it is some major high end dessert when as far as I can see is it is just a baked egg custard. Clue me in.

What is the difference between a baked custard, a flan and a creme brulee, I mean other than the burnt sugar on the brulee and the caramel on the flan. Seems to me they are all basically the same thing. And if that is true what is the big deal about creme brulee? People talk about it like it is some major high end dessert when as far as I can see is it is just a baked egg custard. Clue me in.

The setting and price...:LOL:

I love creme brulee because of the burnt sugar on the top. :rolleyes:

Seems to me like each of them has a slightly different consistency, but that could just be the ones I've had. I've never made any of those. My first attempt at any kind of custard was a coconut cream pie I made the other night.

I think there may be variations on what is used as a flavoring to make it someone's signature dessert, like switching up from vanilla to rum flavor. But, basically they are all egg custards with different toppings, like caramel or burnt sugar.

If you can make egg custard, it's a baby step to making brulee and flan!

You can only use a flame thrower on creme brulee
padeswood 215.jpg

Depending on individual recipes of course, in my experience basically:

Custard is made from milk and eggs
Flan is made from milk, eggs and egg yolks
Creme Brulee is made from whipping cream and egg yolks

The difference among the three is the degree of richness each one has, no?

My goodneess, egg custard is nothing but baked eggnog! I mean who couldn't make it?:ermm:

I tried once and it was a total runny mess. I don't really care much for custard. It was for my trifle. So, I still make trifle with homemade vanilla pudding instead of custard.

:)
Depending on individual recipes of course, in my experience basically:

Custard is made from milk and eggs
Flan is made from milk, eggs and egg yolks
Creme Brulee is made from whipping cream and egg yolks

The difference among the three is the degree of richness each one has, no?
Well said.

British custard tarts include nutmeg, I love creme caramel out of a packet.
Do you have Greens

I googled it. Sometimes it just amazes me how people can make money by treating us like we haven't a brain in our heads. I mean really it's an insult to our intelligence to look at some of the boxed stuff you can buy in the grocery store. Oh, by the way, I put nutmeg in my custard too, and my eggnog.

I googled it. Sometimes it just amazes me how people can make money by treating us like we haven't a brain in our heads. I mean really it's an insult to our intelligence to look at some of the boxed stuff you can buy in the grocery store. Oh, by the way, I put nutmeg in my custard too, and my eggnog.

I used to make Dr. Oetker's crème caramel. It didn't used to have a bunch of weird chemicals. I tried making custard once and only succeeded in wasting my ingredients. The packaged stuff was easy, cheap, and good. Friends who adore crème caramel told me it was as good as the stuff in upscale restaurants. Does that insult someone's intelligence?

Hey, if it works for you go for it. I just get insulted when I think about the totality of products that are little more than milk, eggs, flour and sugar that pretty much anyone can put together and save a bundle of money doing so. I did not mean to insult you.

Hey, if it works for you go for it. I just get insulted when I think about the totality of products that are little more than milk, eggs, flour and sugar that pretty much anyone can put together and save a bundle of money doing so. I did not mean to insult you.

I guess I overreacted. I don't think there is any reason to be insulted - shocked and stunned, yes ;)

I'm surprised to find recipes here that include packaged stuff. I understand that as an emergency substitute or hurry up measure, but not as a wonderful recipe.

I googeld it also. I wonder how close it would be to make a rich non-dairy creamer & put some caramel & vanilla coffe syrup in it. I will try it & experiment with it. It may be a good topping for our caramelized bread pudding on the menu.

Please let me make myself clear here for the sake of future posts. I have no problem using boxed products if they are cheaper and of high quality and nutritional content. It's when folks buy boxed because they are too lazy to make their own, or can't be bothered to learn to do it themselves that I get on my soapbox. I have a sister-in-law who buys only frozen "foods", won't even buy boxed because some assembly is required. So I guess this is where a lot of my attitude comes from (And this woman is dirt poor.) So please folks, let me off the hook.

Back
Top Bottom