Do you decorate your house for Halloween?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
my wife has been bugging me to get to our storage unit to get out all of our holiday decorations. i hopefully will get to it tomorrow.

but it made me wonder if anyone else decorates their house, and if they would like to post pictures.

i'll have my pics up soon.

I sometimes decorate for Halloween, but haven't been inspired yet this year. We don't get many trick-or-treat visitors (our new neighborhood is less densely populated and fairly dark). So I usually go with more of a fall theme.

I sometimes decorate for Halloween, but haven't been inspired yet this year. We don't get many trick-or-treat visitors (our new neighborhood is less densely populated and fairly dark). So I usually go with more of a fall theme.

I agree with you about a fall theme. I found myself drawn to several fall theme items at Walmart yesterday. I love the fall colors, leaf decorations and mixed gourds.

I'm tempted by the gourds/mini pumpkins. I love the way they look, but would probably pop them one by one into the oven to bake.

I was given a mini pumpkin one year, and just baked it whole in the oven. It was wonderful.

I live vicariously through my neighbor's Halloween decorations... which have been up for a few weeks now :wacko:

My favorite time of the year. We spook the house up pretty good.

Marie is a flying crank ghost. A motorized marionette we built (along with her crypt) that really grabs the attention. Kids in the neighborhood call us the Halloween House.

graveyardtwilight2.JPG

garagenight.JPG

garageghost.jpg

coffinman.JPG

Craig

Last edited:
I just put out a few things for Halloween.
We used to live next door to a lady who went all out, she even had my DH make a her a coffin for her front porch.

Here is a link to Marie in action. Make sure you right click on the video to enter and exit full screen view.

About myself

Craig

We do a little decorating inside and out. We live in a townhouse condo complex so there are a lot of homes closer together than in a traditional neighborhood. We get a lot of kids from other parts of town for Halloween as they know they can hit a lot of homes in a short amount of time. Some of our neighbors really get into it.

DH is from Oz. Didn't grow up with Halloween and he LOVES it. We don't go all out anymore (empty nest) but, I have windsocks from the porch, and some punkins the porch steps. I have a wrought iron bread rack and I have some jack o lantern lanterns, and paper lanterns I put out. I decorate the mantel and I have a "halloween tree" which is about 15 inches tall with little decorations and DH has some hideous spiders he like to hang on the walls. And I have some runners I put on the tables. That's it. Not much, but some.

CraigC: your house is AMAZING!! In what part of the country do you live?

Last edited:
DH is from Oz. Didn't grow up with Halloween and he LOVES it. We don't go all out anymore (empty nest) but, I have windsocks from the porch, and some punkins the porch steps. I have a wrought iron bread rack and I have some jack o lantern lanterns, and paper lanterns I put out. I decorate the mantel and I have a "halloween tree" which is about 15 inches tall with little decorations and DH has some hideous spiders he like to hang on the walls. And I have some runners I put on the tables. That's it. Not much, but some.

CraigC: your house is AMAZING!! In what part of the country do you live?

Thanks! We are in South East Florida.

I spent many years as an interior decorator so decorating for the seasons/holidays comes naturally to me.

We have a very large dining room table and that always has a big seasonal silk/dried arrangement on it. It gets changed 4 times a year, as does the arrangement on the glass entryway table and the front and back door arrangements. The front door "holder" is a beautiful ornate wrought iron garden hose holder that I couldn't use for a hose it was so lovely. Instead I filled it with Spanish moss and add seasonal flowers. The "holder" by the back door is something that resembles a little distressed white picket fence with a picket-like window box at its bottom edge. I found it at a thrift store and fell in love with it.

As for the Halloween thing, I have several pumpkins placed here and there and black and orange garland in a space over the table in the kitchen. The grandchildren have come to expect crazy ice cubes here, so I've made ice cubes that look like fingers, skeleton bones, pumpkins, and skulls. When Halloween gets closer, I'll add my various lighted pumpkins and a witch or two. I was digging around in our storage building yesterday afternoon and came across a string of orange lights. I'll definitely find a place to use them.

We live way out in the country so the likelihood of little ghosties or goblins stopping by begging for treats is zip, save for Glenn's daughter bringing her girls.

If I get ambitious today, I'll take some pictures and post them.

My daughter and SIL bring our grandson here for Trick or Treating. That's a kick because we get to go around and see what everyone else has done (and grab some candy). Here he is in last year's costume.

Attachments

• DSC01335.jpg
    DSC01335.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 128
We usually just do a jack-o-latern and put a skeleton on the door. Before it stopped working and we removed it we had a lamp post in the yard and I'd replace the regular lantern with a plastic pumpkin one. Not a lot of decorating and even less now that the kids are grown and basically gone.

We decorated the place of our business but not our home. We never decorate our home, one reason being that we get zero trick 0 treaters coming up our steep hill. Lazy kids and parents.

Living alone the Halloween decorations could become the Christmas decorations and the Christmas decorations have been known to linger until St Patrick's day.

I only decorate now if I am sure that small children will be around.

I do enjoy seeing the imaginative efforts of others.

We go crazy! Inside & outside.

Most of the neighbors love it, but we really scare some of the kids, though. I have a big cauldron, in which I hide a smoke machine. I set a dish of treats on top of the machine, and I stand over it in a witch's costume and a broomstick. I make the kids reach in and get their own candy.

My daughter and SIL bring our grandson here for Trick or Treating. That's a kick because we get to go around and see what everyone else has done (and grab some candy). Here he is in last year's costume.

What a beautiful smile on that little guy. Thanks for the picture Andy.

CraigC, good stuff! Andy, the kids are adorable!

I used to do a lot when we had more kids in the neighborhood. Full sized Grim Reaper, a man hanging from a tree, various body parts, stuffed full head masks as severed heads, a huge dragon head with my bathrobe on to answer the door. The last few years I've just put out the severed heads and the full size mummy, along with a giant jellyfish made from bubble wrap.

Some new families have moved into the subdivision, may have to do more this year. My favorite holiday!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom