Caramel Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cLittle

Assistant Cook
A friend has requested i make her a caramel pie. She said that her mother used to make it around the holidays but has passed away and they do not have the recipe. She said the consistency is very thick and gooey. Any tips? Thanks!!!:)

It sounds to me like it might be sugar pie (Quebec Sugar Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com).

I was given this recipe by the chef at the Le Bon Accueil in Rivere Madeleine, Quebec:

2 c brown sugar (1/2 golden, 1/2 dark)
1 c evaporated milk
2 T hot, melted butter
dash of vanilla
1 pie crust, prebaked at 350 for 6-8 minutes.

1.Mix the sugar and evaporated milk together, blend in melted butter.
2. Pour mixture in the pie shell. Bake for 15-20 minutes until set. This is VERY, VERY rich. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

When I would serve this to my friends in Quebec, the response was it was better than their moms' or grandmas' recipes.

You make the caramel out of eagle brand milk. May sound strange but you boil the can unopened (I use 3 for a pie) for 1 1/2 hrs. turning every 15 min. They say there is dangers of it blowing up, but I've done it at least 20 times and not had a problem. When you get thru boiling them let it cool down before opening.

This may be out of context but does anyone have a good recipie for a baked butterscotch pie?

This may be out of context but does anyone have a good recipie for a baked butterscotch pie?

Are you looking for a butterscotch meringue pie (which is common in Nova Scotia), this one is similar to how one my housemates when I was in grad school in NB made hers (there are even instructions for baking it in the microwave). I watched her make it a couple of times, but I didn't really care for it, so didn't ask for the recipe.

Butterscotch Pie

Here's a similar recipe:

Nanny’s Butterscotch Pie « Warm Vanilla Sugar

This is Butterscotch custard pie, but I'd say it is similar to some of the recipes I've seen for sugar pie (the eggs and the fact that the filling is cooked and then added to the pie shell):

Butterscotch Custard Pie Recipe @CDKitchen

If you search on sugar pie, you will find variations that use eggs.

Are you looking for a butterscotch meringue pie (which is common in Nova Scotia), this one is similar to how one my housemates when I was in grad school in NB made hers (there are even instructions for baking it in the microwave). I watched her make it a couple of times, but I didn't really care for it, so didn't ask for the recipe.

Butterscotch Pie

Here's a similar recipe:

Nanny’s Butterscotch Pie « Warm Vanilla Sugar

This is Butterscotch custard pie, but I'd say it is similar to some of the recipes I've seen for sugar pie (the eggs and the fact that the filling is cooked and then added to the pie shell):

Butterscotch Custard Pie Recipe @CDKitchen

If you search on sugar pie, you will find variations that use eggs.
Thank you very much! I will try it out.

Good luck. I know some people put a 2nd (top) crust or lattice on sugar pie. So, if the recipe of which you were thinking had a top crust, the butterscotch custard pie recipe would be the one on which I'd put a crust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom