Let's talk tea (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I've been a tea lover for years. I drink a LOT of tea at work. I love perusing the online tea sites, but haven't purchased anything in a while. I'm feeling a bit stale and am looking for inspiration. To that end, please do share your latest tea favorites.

Mine:

Teabags:
Blackcurrant Bracer - London Fruit and Herb (can't seem to find it anymore! :shock:)
Dry Desert Lime - Numi
White Christmas - Stash
Earl Grey - Twinings
Bengal Spice - Celestial Seasonings

Loose:
Triple Ginseng - Stash
Crepe Faire - Stash
Market Spice - Tea Place

Last edited:
I am drinking English Teatime (Bigelow) right now. I also like Lipton's Black Pearl tea, Earl Grey, English Breakfast, and Irish breakfast. I love almost all black tea. I have also tried some white and green teas, but always go back to black tea.

Constant Comment

Wegman's house brand British Blend

What is White Christmas?

Its freaking addictive is what it is! It is white tea, with a hint of mint and ginger. Its very soothing to an upset tummy and it just rolls across your palate. Lovely stuff. Who makes Constant Comment?

Chopper, I like black tea too, but try to limit the amount I drink of it. Since I drink so MUCH tea, I'm trying not to irreparably stain my teeth. Irish Breakfast is a good one.

harney and sons earl grey supreme
teavana's lake tung ting oolong, rooibos, and genmaicha.

i have to go look to see what else i have.

I have to admit that I too drink lots of tea, and can make my hygienist crazy at the dentist's office. I did find a white tea I like pretty good you might want to try. Lipton makes it. It is called Blueberry & Pomegranate. It is in the pyramid tea bags.

Its freaking addictive is what it is! It is white tea, with a hint of mint and ginger. Its very soothing to an upset tummy and it just rolls across your palate. Lovely stuff. Who makes Constant Comment?

Chopper, I like black tea too, but try to limit the amount I drink of it. Since I drink so MUCH tea, I'm trying not to irreparably stain my teeth. Irish Breakfast is a good one.
Alix the last time you had a thread up about tea between you and GB I sent away for the White Christmas. it was the best thing I've sent for in years. As an old coffee drinker I have to admit I now love this tea. It's a great tea at night and I have it often. Now to teach Gil how to brew it:LOL:
kades

Since I saw that hibiscus tea lowers high blood pressure even better than meds in some studies, I've been drinking store brand raspberry hibiscus and Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger, which has hibiscus (thanks Alix!) on ice. Can't find the straight hibiscus (jamaica) here, but will get some when we go back to Mexico.

on the matter if steeping/brewing, do youbring your water to a full boil, then let it come down to the steeping temp? do you scald your cups first?

i was taught by an old, gruff, thick sweatered, pipe smoking irish fisherman many years ago that those are the three key things to a good cup of tea.

BT, actually I have the best luck when I bring the water up to right before it boils. Also, I am sure to brew for a full 5 minutes for the perfect cup of tea. Actually, I prefer it when DH does these things and brings it to me on Sunday mornings before I even get out of bed. He even warms the cup or the pot for one before making my tea. I am so spoiled!!

Since I saw that hibiscus tea lowers high blood pressure even better than meds in some studies, I've been drinking store brand raspberry hibiscus and Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger, which has hibiscus (thanks Alix!) on ice. Can't find the straight hibiscus (jamaica) here, but will get some when we go back to Mexico.

I totally forgot to send you the link to Stash's hibiscus tea! Here it is. I like this tea, but I'm happy that most of my "fruity" teas seem to have a lot of hibiscus in them. There used to be a tea called rosehip hibiscus, made by Bigelow I think. It was tasty.

on the matter if steeping/brewing, do youbring your water to a full boil, then let it come down to the steeping temp? do you scald your cups first?

i was taught by an old, gruff, thick sweatered, pipe smoking irish fisherman many years ago that those are the three key things to a good cup of tea.

Our water is very hard so I try to catch the water JUST before it hits a hard boil. I find if I let it boil and wait a bit the tea tastes far more acidic. Oh and yep, I scald the pot/cup.

BT, actually I have the best luck when I bring the water up to right before it boils. Also, I am sure to brew for a full 5 minutes for the perfect cup of tea. Actually, I prefer it when DH does these things and brings it to me on Sunday mornings before I even get out of bed. He even warms the cup or the pot for one before making my tea. I am so spoiled!!

Wow! That guy is a keeper!

I like Lemon Zinger by Celestial Seasonings.
Also, loose mint tea - I usually buy Frontier organic.

Bigelow makes Constant Comment. It has a hint or orange and cloves. It is great hot or cold.

I'll change it up seasonally, but year-round, I drink a lot of simple sencha green tea. I used to like genmaicha, but for some reason (probably age), starting about six years ago, it would consistently knot/cramp my stomach, so it's off my list. I also have a couple bags left of Celestial Seasonings's SleepyTime in the freezer.

I drink tea often enough that I have a 2.2 liter Zojirushi "magic pot" that can keep my water at any temp, and dispense it with a push of a button. I also have a nearly full complement of utensils for a formal Japanese tea ceremony and a ziploc of powdered tea in the freezer, but it's mostly just for decoration (I'd be too embarrassed to try hosting a guest with it).

And yes, scald the cup. Or, the Asian rule of insult goes, never serve the first pour.

I have to work in the morning or else I would start listing all the teas I have...I'm trying to get used to the Red Zinger, for blood pressure reasons. But, I love the strong Black Teas and Green Teas.

I prefer a rosehip-hibiscus mix to Red Zinger. I'm not fond of chamomile. I only have chamomile for medicinal purposes. I have some rose-hibiscus in the fridge at the moment. I love it as iced tea.

I have to work in the morning or else I would start listing all the teas I have...I'm trying to get used to the Red Zinger, for blood pressure reasons. But, I love the strong Black Teas and Green Teas.

PF, almost every fruity tea that Celestial Seasonings makes has hibiscus in it. Check the link I posted as well. Stash's hibiscus tea is lovely.

PF, almost every fruity tea that Celestial Seasonings makes has hibiscus in it. Check the link I posted as well. Stash's hibiscus tea is lovely.

I guess I'm just not a fruity tea lover. I don't mind the Red Zinger, but it's not habit forming for me.

Back
Top Bottom