Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   How to cook turkey neck (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/how-to-cook-turkey-neck-75847.html)

Siegal 11-04-2011 08:43 PM

How to cook turkey neck

My husband bought a package for me bc I always steal them off the turkey. Any tips on how to roast it?

Andy M. 11-04-2011 09:01 PM

I always simmer them in water to make stock for the gravy. However, if you want to roast them, just put them on a sheet pan and roast them at 350 F.

Kayelle 11-04-2011 09:32 PM

My favorite part of the turkey!!

I roast mine with high heat to get them nice and brown.....(400 degrees) and then deglaze the pan with some broth and boil them to release all the meat from the bone.

The broth is wonderful for turkey gravy, and you can use the meat in the gravy if you wish. At my house, the meat never makes it to the gravy.:rolleyes:

buckytom 11-05-2011 12:02 AM

since roasting has been covered, i'd otherwise suggest broiling or grilling. there's not much meat so it's kinda tough to consider them mealwise as a going concern, but you can nibble what you might, then use what's left for stock or gravy.

Bolas De Fraile 11-05-2011 01:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Feast your eyes on this beauty, I will post some recipes from my new book 1001 ways with a Parsons NoseAttachment 12333

Attachment 12334

Claire 11-05-2011 06:15 AM

I cannot even imagine using a turkey neck as a main meal. Roasting? Way to tough, way too much work for so little meat. I stew it to make a stock. By then the meat is tender, and that's the cook's treat.

Zhizara 11-05-2011 07:42 AM

Here's the way I made it:

Turkey Neck Stew - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Siegal 11-05-2011 09:06 AM

Bolas: are those turkey tushies???? Omg!

If so, where did u find them??

PS. Don't use that left picture in your cookbook! Can see reflection.

Bolas De Fraile 11-07-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siegal (Post 1067625)
Bolas: are those turkey tushies???? Omg!

If so, where did u find them??

The opposite end to the head. I get them free when I buy necks and livers from Cuckoo Mill Turkeys Pembroke South West Wales.
Grandma Blodwyn who retired a few years ago from the sharp end of the buss agrees with us that the neck, liver and parsons are the tastiest bits of the bird.:smile:
Tushies smoked low and slow on the bbq then glazed with buffalo sauce are exquisite.

letscook 11-07-2011 05:28 AM

simmer in water with garlic clove, celery, onion, carrot, salt and pepper.

they make the best broth. I used to buy from a poultry store 5 lbs of chix necks and make broth. It was the best. Miss it as the store no longer cuts up chicken, they buy them already cut. Bummer! They are good picking food. The meat is very tasty