Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Appliances (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   HELP! I Think I'm Screwed! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/help-i-think-im-screwed-77919.html)

Andy M. 02-13-2012 10:43 AM

HELP! I Think I'm Screwed!

I was kneading some bagel dough in my KA Professional 5 (350 watts) when I heard a click/snap and the dough hook stopped while the motor continued to run.

Sounds like a transmission issue?

FrankZ 02-13-2012 10:56 AM

I am not a repairman for these but I would suspect a drive gear. Doesn't the Pro5 use a nylon gear as opposed to the metal gearing of the Pro600?

I suspect you have had it for a while and it is out of warranty, but you should be able to contact KA and get some guidance.

Good luck with it. Lucille has been hard at work for me this morning.

Andy M. 02-13-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankZ (Post 1107332)
I am not a repairman for these but I would suspect a drive gear. Doesn't the Pro5 use a nylon gear as opposed to the metal gearing of the Pro600?

I suspect you have had it for a while and it is out of warranty, but you should be able to contact KA and get some guidance.

Good luck with it. Lucille has been hard at work for me this morning.

I have had it for about 10 years. No clue if it has nylon or metal gears. this is the mixer that took a header into my toilet and destroyed it.

FrankZ 02-13-2012 11:03 AM

Well.. they are tough buggers, but not invincible.

I wonder how KA would react if you mention that fact. :lol:

FrankZ 02-13-2012 11:07 AM

Looking up repair parts for the Pro5 it looks like the main drive gear is nylon (looks like it in the picture).

If you feel handy you might try opening it up and seeing what doesn't look like it is right inside. I found this site offering repair parts. I don't vouch for em, just did a quick google search.

Andy M. 02-13-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankZ (Post 1107341)
Looking up repair parts for the Pro5 it looks like the main drive gear is nylon (looks like it in the picture).

If you feel handy you might try opening it up and seeing what doesn't look like it is right inside. I found this site offering repair parts. I don't vouch for em, just did a quick google search.

Thanks Frank. I don't feel up to doing a repair myself. I think I'll call the 800 number on the machine.

FrankZ 02-13-2012 11:29 AM

I'd offer to help but I suspect it would not be economically feasible. :smile:

Andy M. 02-13-2012 11:42 AM

That's for sure. Unless you feel really charitable...

The nearest auth. service is an hour away.

If my mixer has nylon gears can I have them changed to metal?

4meandthem 02-13-2012 11:46 AM

Why was the mixer in your bathroom? LOL

4meandthem 02-13-2012 11:46 AM

Or why was the toilet in your kitchen?