Vanilla Bean Substitute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Is the actual vanilla bean that necessary when making the basic custard for home made ice cream?

I'm using the Atkins diet recipe that calls for the actual vanilla bean to be used for the cream custard. We don't even have a store here in Toon Town USA, if we did I doubt they would stock it anyways. Can pure vanilla extract be used as a sub?

The vanilla ice cream recipe itself calls for vanilla extract. I'm thinking it's going to be a little bit of an over kill.. ?

Thank you

Munky.

Is the actual vanilla bean that necessary when making the basic custard for home made ice cream?

I'm using the Atkins diet recipe that calls for the actual vanilla bean to be used for the cream custard. We don't even have a store here in Toon Town USA, if we did I doubt they would stock it anyways. Can pure vanilla extract be used as a sub?

The vanilla ice cream recipe itself calls for vanilla extract. I'm thinking it's going to be a little bit of an over kill.. ?

Thank you

Munky.

I have Danish recipes that call for vanilla sugar, which is made by putting the beans in the sugar for a while (weeks, months?). I substituted pure vanilla extract and it worked fine. Now I have vanilla beans.

Thank you

Munky.

Absolutely! use the extract.

Update:

Thank you both for the help. It worked out beautifully.:chef:

Hubby, unknown to me had bought me the KA Ice cream maker. Is he trying to give me a coronary?

Had my first run with it made French Vanilla, Cookies and Cream. That was the best ice cream I've ever had. Made it before with a different model. Swore me off of that contraption for years. I didn't like or have the time @ the time to deal with a hassle. Funny I still don't. :LOL:

But did want to stop back by and let you know how it all turned out.

Thank you

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom