Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   How Many Layers Is Your Lasagne? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/how-many-layers-is-your-lasagne-79102.html)

Margi Cintrano 04-24-2012 08:49 AM

How Many Layers Is Your Lasagne?

Good Afternoon,

:smile: Have you ever been asked:

Would enjoy knowing the answer to the following question:

:chef: HOW MANY LAYERS IS YOUR LASAGNE ? :yum:

According to the Government of Emilia Romagna, Italy, a traditional Lasagne Bolognese should have 7 ( seven ) layers. My Grandmom Margherite did her Lasagne the same way. The layers should be golden around the edges and never scorched ...

Thus, seven is how I do as well and my 2 daughters ...

I prepare mine in a 3 1/2 ( three and a half ) Inch high enameled pan that Chef Mario Batali had recommended to me years ago when I was still in Manhattan.

:rolleyes: Look forward to hearing all your replies.

Have a nice Tuesday.
Margi.

Bolas De Fraile 04-24-2012 09:16 AM

Margi as a lot of people here know I am dyslexic.First time I read your strap line it said in my head How many times do you lay your lasagne.................oki'll get my cat .....I mean coat.

justplainbill 04-24-2012 09:19 AM

I like 6 sheets of noodle separated by 16 mm of filling. Unfortunately my better half usually prevails with her 4 sheets separated by 19 mm of thick ragu or Bolognese and cheese filling.

Steve Kroll 04-24-2012 09:37 AM

I just keep making layers until I run out of something. Usually noodles or sauce.

4meandthem 04-24-2012 09:39 AM

I am lucky to get 3 layers in my Pyrex pan. I don't usuay make traditional bolognese lasagne though. I make a seafood one with a bechemel but more often I layer sausage,ragu,spinach and cheeses along with other things like roasted peppers,olives,pine nuts etc.

MostlyWater 04-24-2012 01:57 PM

noodles each count as one layer, right? and the filling/topping each counts as one?

I don't think 7 is so out of the ball park.

justplainbill 04-24-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplainbill (Post 1131736)
I like 6 sheets of noodle separated by 16 mm of filling. Unfortunately my better half usually prevails with her 4 sheets separated by 19 mm of thick ragu or Bolognese and cheese filling.

Even numbers are not considered unlucky in the US.

CWS4322 04-24-2012 04:54 PM

I try to get as many layers as will fit in my Le Crueset lasagne pan...usually about 5.

4meandthem 04-24-2012 06:05 PM

If the pasta is considered a seperate layer I get 6 maybe 7 layers. The top layer being cheeses and herbs for the most part.

Aunt Bea 04-24-2012 06:18 PM

For everyday it is three layers of pasta, on a special day it is 5 or 6 layers of pasta.

We like it on the dry side and normally eat it at room temperature with some extra sauce on the side.