Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Fish & Seafood (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   ISO more uses for tilapia (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/iso-more-uses-for-tilapia-81690.html)

WildOrchid310 09-15-2012 05:51 PM

ISO more uses for tilapia

I've been eating a lot of tilapia lately. I put it in a foil "packet" with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic salt, and some spicy seasoning. I really love it this way, but I know I'll get sick of it soon if this is the only thing I ever do with it! What are some of your favorite ways to use tilapia?

Dawgluver 09-15-2012 07:09 PM

I've done mine in the microwave with just butter and S&P. Maybe some teryaki and a dash of rice vinegar would be good.

4meandthem 09-15-2012 07:10 PM

I am not a big fan of Tilapia but a few of the ways I have njoyed are:
Sweet and sour Tilapia with thin breading and tangy S&S sauce with onions and green peppers. (no pineapple)

The other way was salt and pepper tilapia with thin breading and fried jalapeno slices.

I normally don't prefer my fish breaded/battered and fried, but it seems to work well with me and Tilapia.

no mayonnaise 09-15-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildOrchid310 (Post 1186556)
What are some of your favorite ways to use tilapia?

There aren't.
Especially after reading about the history of the fish and how it came to be in America.

kadesma 09-16-2012 01:28 AM

You might try this sauce over some broiled talapia. I put it over sole and halibut .1-1/2 Tab. butter melt in skillet. Stir in 2 Tab. of flour blending well. Add boiling 2-/14 cups of salted water and whisk til thickened. Beat an egg yolk with 1 Tab of cold water.Remove the skillet from the heat and and stir in the egg. Add 6 Tab of butter and stir until melted Strain the sauce and add the juice of 2 fresh squeezed lemons or more if you want. Add salt and pepper Serve over your fish. or you might like a dill sauce
Mix 1 pint of sour cream, 1 tea. of a good Dijon mustard,salt and pepper 1/2 tea. or more of dill weed to taste 1 Tab. lemon juice, 2 tab. capers Serve with broiled fish. Hope this helps a little
kadesma

Rocklobster 09-16-2012 02:08 AM

Marinate it in Thai sweet chili sauce, then broil.

I also cover it in a bruschetta mix with olive oil and cook it in foil.

mollyanne 09-16-2012 03:13 AM

Good ideas! I was thinking fish taco but I think you might need a firmer fish than Tilapia for that...maybe broil the tilapia first...then top it with a white sauce, lime juice, guacamole, and a fine cabbage.

A Tilapia Corn Chowder would be good with bacon(optional), celery, onion, chicken broth, coconut milk, potatoes, corn, lemon juice, chives, and thyme. I love soups...comfort food.

taxlady 09-16-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no mayonnaise (Post 1186658)
There aren't.
Especially after reading about the history of the fish and how it came to be in America.

+1

taxlady 09-16-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadesma (Post 1186678)
You might try this sauce over some broiled talapia. I put it over sole and halibut .1-1/2 Tab. butter melt in skillet. Stir in 2 Tab. of flour blending well. Add boiling 2-/14 cups of salted water and whisk til thickened. Beat an egg yolk with 1 Tab of cold water.Remove the skillet from the heat and and stir in the egg. Add 6 Tab of butter and stir until melted Strain the sauce and add the juice of 2 fresh squeezed lemons or more if you want. Add salt and pepper Serve over your fish. or you might like a dill sauce
Mix 1 pint of sour cream, 1 tea. of a good Dijon mustard,salt and pepper 1/2 tea. or more of dill weed to taste 1 Tab. lemon juice, 2 tab. capers Serve with broiled fish. Hope this helps a little
kadesma

Those sauces sound fabulous. Gonna copy and paste them.

Is that first one a simplified Hollandaise?

Aunt Bea 09-16-2012 11:34 AM

Put fish fillets in a baking dish, salt and pepper it.

Drizzle with a generous amount of melted butter.

Top with coarsely crushed saltine crackers.

Bake it 15 to 20 minutes at 425 degrees.

Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce. :yum:

Don't tell anyone it is Tilapia, tell them it is scrod or the catch of the day! :ermm::ohmy::lol: