Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Condiments. The ones you love and the ones you hate. (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/condiments-the-ones-you-love-and-the-ones-you-hate-82184.html)

Snip 13 10-15-2012 08:22 AM

Condiments. The ones you love and the ones you hate.
 
Since there is such a massive market for condiments I thought it would be interresting to see which ones you all love and which ones you can live without.

I love original tabasco, hot german mustard, worcestershire sauce (maggi lazenby's not lee and perrins), balsamic and malt vinegar, HP sauce.

Ones I could go without- ketchup, sweet mustard, mayo, bbq sauce, chutney, salad dressing (prefer my salad naked or with some chilli and lemon)

Addie 10-15-2012 08:36 AM

I HATE yellow mustard. I will eat Gulden's dark mustard, but only on certain foods. I bought a small jar two years ago. It is still sitting in the fridge almost full. It doesn't go bad. It has vinegar in it and that is a preservative. :angel:

bakechef 10-15-2012 08:41 AM

I don't care for pickle relish.

I'm not a big condiment eater, I'll eat ketchup on a hotdog, bbq sauce on ribs or pulled pork/chicken, mustard on occasion, mayonnaise on burgers or sandwiches.

I'm the type that will eat chicken tenders naked if they are really good ones, or with just a tiny bit of sauce. If they are mediocre ones, I'll give them a good dip in honey mustard sauce.

Addie 10-15-2012 08:51 AM

Now you have me thinking. I could drink ketchup right out of the bottle. (Ah, heartburn galore!) Eat hot dogs with sauerkraut only. Very thin layer of mayo of rare sandwiches. (don't like bread) Prefer butter. Relish is for potato salad. BBQ sauce only if it has been cooked on the meat. Salsa on an omelet. Seafood chili sauce for steamed shrimp. Or melted butter. I prefer my food unadorned. Just salt on FF. :angel:

Snip 13 10-15-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1195570)
Now you have me thinking. I could drink ketchup right out of the bottle. (Ah, heartburn galore!) Eat hot dogs with sauerkraut only. Very thin layer of mayo of rare sandwiches. (don't like bread) Prefer butter. Relish is for potato salad. BBQ sauce only if it has been cooked on the meat. Salsa on an omelet. Seafood chili sauce for steamed shrimp. Or melted butter. I prefer my food unadorned. Just salt on FF. :angel:


OH MY GOODNESS, I love butter ( not margerine).
Pickles, salsa and pesto are great too but I prefer homemade :yum:
What is FF?

LPBeier 10-15-2012 10:31 AM

Snip, FF is french fries. :smile:

Love - mayo, tartar sauce, soy sauce, guacamole, grainy mustard, dijon, sour cream, homemade BBQ sauce (others are too sweet) and most vinegars and relish.

Dislike - Ketchup, regular mustard, salsa (unless it is fresh),

Addie, I too will only eat a hot dog with sauerkraut! And butter is great on everything!

Steve Kroll 10-15-2012 11:15 AM

I'm kind of a DIY-er. With the exception of vinegar and Worcestershire, I make almost all of my own condiments. Ketchup, mustard, BBQ, hot sauces (both fresh and fermented), mayo - I've pretty much made it all. Even a few odd ones like mushroom ketchup. Since I don't really follow set recipes for this kind of thing, they come out a little different every time I make them.

Some day I may give vinegar-making a try. But to be honest, I'm just a little leery about having live vinegar culture in the same house as all my wine. :ohmy:

And I do keep a bottle of Heinz ketchup in the fridge. Though I don't use it much myself, if we have kids over to the house, they seem to like it better than my homemade stuff, which doesn't taste much like the Heinz product.

PrincessFiona60 10-15-2012 11:19 AM

Don't like: Miracle Whip, some salad dressings (the one's that are real sweet)

Like: ketchup, mustard, oils, vinegars, relishes, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, fish sauce, some salad dressings, salts, peppers, salsas, chilies, mayonnaise, pickles, olives, capers...how much time do you have?

Snip 13 10-15-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPBeier (Post 1195581)
Snip, FF is french fries. :smile:

Love - mayo, tartar sauce, soy sauce, guacamole, grainy mustard, dijon, sour cream, homemade BBQ sauce (others are too sweet) and most vinegars and relish.

Dislike - Ketchup, regular mustard, salsa (unless it is fresh),

Addie, I too will only eat a hot dog with sauerkraut! And butter is great on everything!

:lol: Feel really stupid now, French Fries won't forget that!
Glad to see I'm not the only person that doesn't like ketchup, the only kind I've liked so far was a homemade recipe from Jamie Oliver I made a few times.

Snip 13 10-15-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kroll (Post 1195587)
I'm kind of a DIY-er. With the exception of vinegar and Worcestershire, I make almost all of my own condiments. Ketchup, mustard, BBQ, hot sauces (both fresh and fermented), mayo - I've pretty much made it all. Even a few odd ones like mushroom ketchup. Since I don't really follow set recipes for this kind of thing, they come out a little different every time I make them.

Some day I may give vinegar-making a try. But to be honest, I'm just a little leery about having live vinegar culture in the same house as all my wine. :ohmy:

And I do keep a bottle of Heinz ketchup in the fridge. Though I don't use it much myself, if we have kids over to the house, they seem to like it better than my homemade stuff, which doesn't taste much like the Heinz product.

Green with envy :angel: I'm coming to raid your fridge :lol:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.