Oranges, lemons, limes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ginger36

Assistant Cook
HI - this is my first post and I hope I'm doing it right. This is my question:
I read somewhere that restaurants don't throw away any citrus. They freeze it and then grate it in the frozen state into whatever foods they want to enhance. I wondered if anyone has tried this and if it works - in short, if there is any merit in this?

I look forward to any replies - thanks - Judy

Welcome to DC.

I have no clue what restaurants do. However, grated citrus zest and/or juice does enhance certain dishes. I doesn't have to be frozen first.

Welcome to DC! I have no idea what they do either, but both juice and zest freeze nicely.

I use grated and/or chopped citrus skins and pulp all the time. I use so much citrus I throw most of it away, just too much to use productively. My best is chopping lime skins/pulp into small pieces, then add that to chopped cucumber, Asian fish sauce, and their orange/garlic sauce you can buy in big bottles in Asian markets for less than $2. Then add all I said to lime juice, serve it with your egg rolls, wontons, fried shrimp, anything that needs a piquant sauce. (A piquant sauce that doesn't fall in the Latino spectrum, plenty of good sauces there too--salsas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom