Food Smells You Cannot Stand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't got a lot of use for "curry powder". I do have some garam masala and I buy Patak's curry pastes.

I wouldn't mind having a recipe for that yellow, supermarket curry powder. A number of Danish recipes use it. It wouldn't work with a more authentic curry powder. :LOL:

This is my version of homemade yellow curry powder (just omit the fenugreek)

Curry Powder
2 tbsps of cumin seeds
2 tbsps of fenugreek
1 and a half tsps of mustard seeds (brown)
1 tbsp of black peppercorns
8 tbsps of coriander seeds
1 tbsp of poppy seeds
1 tbsp of ground ginger
2 tsps of hot chilli powder
4 tbsps of ground turmeric
1 tbsp of paprika

Using a blender grind the first 6 ingredients to a fine powder. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 months. The flavour will dull when it gets older but it can still be used.

This is my version of homemade yellow curry powder (just omit the fenugreek)

Curry Powder
2 tbsps of cumin seeds
2 tbsps of fenugreek
1 and a half tsps of mustard seeds (brown)
1 tbsp of black peppercorns
8 tbsps of coriander seeds
1 tbsp of poppy seeds
1 tbsp of ground ginger
2 tsps of hot chilli powder
4 tbsps of ground turmeric
1 tbsp of paprika

Using a blender grind the first 6 ingredients to a fine powder. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 months. The flavour will dull when it gets older but it can still be used.
I think that one might be a bit "too authentic". :LOL: I know the stuff I'm talking about should be less hot than that.

I think that one might be a bit "too authentic". :LOL: I know the stuff I'm talking about should be less hot than that.

Sorry :LOL:
It's my personal blend, I like this combo of flavours. I only buy curry powder to make my pantry look fuller. I think my bought box expired a few years back!

Any canned pet food is disgusting to look at as well as to smell.

Human food .. only 2 come to mind .. sauerkraut and anchovies :sick:

Brussels sprouts and liver. Blech. I won't eat them either. Don't much care for the smell of other brassicas either, but they're at least edible. Stinky fish.

I brought home a durian once when we were in Philly. None of us had ever heard of it before. Cut it open, then immediately moved it to the outdoor deck. From there, heavily wrapped in garbage bags, then into the trash. Admittedly, it does TASTE much better than Brussels sprouts or liver.

Last edited:
Brussels sprouts and liver. Blech. I won't eat them either. Don't much care for the smell of other brassicas either, but they're at least edible. Stinky fish.

I brought home a durian once when we were in Philly. None of us had ever heard of it before. Cut it open, then immediately moved it to the outdoor deck. From there, heavily wrapped in garbage bags, then into the trash. Admittedly, it does TASTE much better than Brussels sprouts or liver.

What is that? :angel:

Brassicas? I had to Google that one :huh:
That's a food term I have not heard or read until now. Cool. I learned something.

I shopped for wet canned cat food until I found one I didn't mind smelling...that's what the cats eat.

Last edited:
Brassicas? I had to Google that one :huh:
That's a food term I have not heard or read until now. Cool. I learned something.

Glad your vocab was broadened, Pac, and you can impress your friends with your new word! :LOL:

Last edited:
I can't stand the smell of fast food "restaurants". My kids would always comply when I'd make them roll up their windows if we came to a stop light next to one of those places. I was also the mean mommy who wouldn't allow greasy-smelling things in my car, ever.

I'm not a fan of smelling seafood, as I don't eat it... yet (still trying to get myself to do so)

Glad your vocab was broadened, Pac, and you can impress your friends with your new word! :LOL:

Well I doubt I'll remember it. Unless it gains in popularity on foodie sites... or the grocery stores around here (in the US) start a bassicas section in their produce dept. ;)

Well I doubt I'll remember it. Unless it gains in popularity on foodie sites... or the grocery stores around here (in the US) start a bassicas section in their produce dept. ;)

Well, hush my mouth. I just looked it up for the heck of it, and had no idea that turnips and rutabegas were also brassicas. They stink as well. I always thought brassicas just included the cabbage and cauli family. I learned something too!

Back
Top Bottom