Sister Visiting!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
My sister comes into town from the coast tomorrow. She is only going to be here Friday and Saturday and leaving filthy early on Sunday. I'm planning food for the weekend. The libations are already planned. :rolleyes:

So on Friday, we are going to have a nibbly night because my daughter is in a dance competition that evening. I've no idea how many bodies will be here, so I'm planning a larger pile of food than normal.

- jalapeno poppers
- veggie tray
- hummus & crackers
- buffalo chicken dip

I'm thinking I need something else there that isn't too spicy. Maybe dry ribs? Or sub out the chicken dip and do a seafood dip or a mexican dip?

I don't want to put too much into this because I want to visit with my sister more than I want to spend time in the kitchen.

Thoughts?

OH! And dinner Saturday. I'm thinking if its warm enough outside I'll do beef ribs. I need a back up plan though. She mentioned she likes chicken with peanut sauce. Anyone have a good recipe?

Nice that your sister is coming to visit. Have fun this weekend is what's important.

I'm thinking some pulled pork made in your crock pot would be easy. You can use "slider"buns if you like and it serves a few or many. You can also freeze leftovers, if any, since how many to plan for is somewhat negotiable.

I'm not real sure what the dip part is in buffalo/ chicken/ dip. It sounds good. Make some coleslaw if you make pulled pork or have some spicy pickle slices.

First and foremost, have a great time with your sis! When my SIL lived 1200 miles away we would look forward to our visits together with great anticipation. Now she lives at the top of our street and we rarely see each other. :ermm: Go figure!

Re: pulled pork. When boneless pork loin or eye of round beef is on sale I'll buy the biggest one I can find even though there are only two of us. A day or two later I'll take the leftovers and slice them really thin and toss them into the crock pot with saucy stuff. If you did that now you could get the buying/cooking/slice out of the way a day or so before she comes over. Dump and sauce, turn the crock pot on, and go enjoy your sis AND have BBQ! Win-Win!:chef:

My sister comes into town from the coast tomorrow. She is only going to be here Friday and Saturday and leaving filthy early on Sunday. I'm planning food for the weekend. The libations are already planned. :rolleyes:

So on Friday, we are going to have a nibbly night because my daughter is in a dance competition that evening. I've no idea how many bodies will be here, so I'm planning a larger pile of food than normal.

- jalapeno poppers
- veggie tray
- hummus & crackers
- buffalo chicken dip

I'm thinking I need something else there that isn't too spicy. Maybe dry ribs? Or sub out the chicken dip and do a seafood dip or a mexican dip?

I don't want to put too much into this because I want to visit with my sister more than I want to spend time in the kitchen.

Thoughts?

OH! And dinner Saturday. I'm thinking if its warm enough outside I'll do beef ribs. I need a back up plan though. She mentioned she likes chicken with peanut sauce. Anyone have a good recipe?

What are dry ribs? Just curious.

First, I'd get a head count, & plan accordingly. Sounds like a lot of appetizers. I like guacamole - it's simple & delish.

To keep it simple (& spend time w/ your sister), I would make an antipasto salad, with or w/o rolls to make sandwiches. The main course could be linguine w/ olive oil & garlic or clam sauce & garli9c bread. Fresh berries or strawberry shortcake for dessert.

Have heard of cashew chicken & chicken yakatori w/ peanut dipping sauce. You might find recipes for peanut chicken on the web. I'd stick w/ a TNT; since you've made chicken w/ 40 cloves of garlic, I'd go with that. Have a nice visit.

Last edited:
Buffalo chicken dip is basically a cream cheese layer (mixed with some ranch), then shredded chicken breast mixed with Franks and then topped with grated cheddar and heated up. DEEEEELISH!

Buffalo chicken dip is basically a cream cheese layer (mixed with some ranch), then shredded chicken breast mixed with Franks and then topped with grated cheddar and heated up. DEEEEELISH!

Wow....that sounds yummy Alix! On second thought, that would be enough meat to satisfy even me. :yum:

I don't know about Alberta, but even in my very small town there are so many bottled peanut sauces/salad dressings that I don't bother any more. Readily available here is House of Tsang (peanut sauce) and Saj-J (actually a salad dressing). Each could be used for chicken with peanut sauce, the latter will be more vinegar-y. But just skewer (if you wish) and broil the chicken (depending on size, the a half-chicken breast will make 2 or 3), then either drizzle with the sauce or put aside for dipping. If you use the San-J salad dressing, I recommend serving on a bed of greens. If you're going for a colder weather dish, buy some quick-cooking Asian noodles and dress them with the sauce. Both are very, very quick and are a staple in my house for when I don't much feel like cooking!

Glad I reread this Alix....so you layer the ingredients, right? On the first read I thought it was all mixed up. Oh man, I bet that's great served with short celery sticks to dig in. Maybe sisters don't mind double dipping though. :LOL: Copied and saved.

If you're looking for something not spicy, I have an artichoke dip that's really good.

2 cans artichoke hearts (NOT MARINATED!!) Drain and chop (I give 'em a few pulses with my mini chopper)
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cup mayo (no Miracle Whip)

Mix together and put in 9x9 baking dish
Bake 350°F 20 mins or til hot

When making this for a crowd I double it and put it in my crockpot on high. When it gets bubbly I lower it to warm. Serve it with crackers or breadsticks (we like it with Triscuits)

If you're looking for something not spicy, I have an artichoke dip that's really good.

2 cans artichoke hearts (NOT MARINATED!!) Drain and chop (I give 'em a few pulses with my mini chopper)

When making this for a crowd I double it and put it in my crockpot on high. When it gets bubbly I lower it to warm. Serve it with crackers or breadsticks (we like it with Triscuits)

This stuff is wonderful!

Sometimes I cheat and use one 10 ounce box of chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry, in place of one of the cans of artichoke hearts.

That's exactly my favorite go to recipe Jabbur! I've made the mistake of changing it up some, only to end up with regrets. It's perfect the exact way it's written.

edit: we must have been typing at the same time Bea! I tried it once with spinach, and although I really like spinach, it just didn't do it for me.

Last edited:
Artichoke dip sounds like just the ticket! I think I might only have marinated though dang it. If I drained and rinsed them do you think that would work?

Kayelle, yes layered! I think it is originally buckytom's recipe, but I've modified it to fit my serving dishes etc. You use cream cheese and just blend in enough ranch salad dressing to make it smooth (bottom layer), shred up 3 chicken breasts and toss them with 1/2 - 1 full bottle of Franks original hot sauce (middle layer) then top with grated cheddar. Place in the oven for about 20 minutes til bubbly and serve with celery sticks, multigrain tortillas and sesame crackers. OM NOM NOM!

I think I'll make both dips and put the celery and chips in between them. I'll put out the veggie tray, the jalapeno poppers and I just decided on roasted garlic and brie. I'll have a fruit tray out too. I think that will be either light enough for the dancer, and filling enough for the rest of us to make do.

Thanks all!

I've made it with marinated before by rinsing but the texture is different. I definitely like the non-marinated better.

And now its snowing! GAH! Driving out to the airport in a snowstorm is not my idea of a good time. Phooey.

Ah well, we will eat well once we get home. Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I'll try and remember to post pix of what I ended up serving. We all know how plans need to be fluid when you have folks visiting.

I had originally planned chicken satay skewers with several side dishes for dinner tomorrow but we may end up with beef ribs. I'm just in the mood!

Back
Top Bottom