What do I do with a small piece of pork shoulder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chopper

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
:pig:I bought a really big pork shoulder, and I have a big crock pot, but when I put it in this morning for pulled pork, it wouldn't fit in the crock pot. I cut off a corner of the roast to make things work out. My question is, what should I do with the small piece ( maybe a half pound) of pork shoulder in the fridge that I cut off this morning? Any ideas out there?:pig:

It would be in my freezer to save for later. Sounds like you've got a lot of CP pork. What time is dinner? :yum:

It would be in my freezer to save for later. Sounds like you've got a lot of CP pork. What time is dinner? :yum:

Do you think it would be ok to re freeze? I had it frozen, and thawed it a couple of days before chopping it off of the mother ship.

Can you be here by 7:00 MST Dawg? That gives you a little less than five hours to get here!;)

I've never used pork this way. Do you have a TNT recipe? :)

Grind up the pork in a FP and brown it well in EVOO with some diced onion and minced garlic. Add a half a can (6 oz size) of paste and stir that in so it darkens a little. Watch that the garlic doesn't burn.

Deglaze the pan with a half cup or so of wine and add a 28 Oz can of tomato. Season with salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Simmer for an hour.

If the sauce is too acidic, mix in a 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Taste and repeat if necessary. I don't use sugar in my sauce.

Only half a pound? I'd cut it up into small chunks, brown it with some onion, add a small can of diced green chili's, a cut up large fresh tomato and some cumin, Mexican oregano and garlic, with a splash of red wine. Simmer uncovered till tender. You'll have instant chili Verde, and just the right amount to dump into a skillet in the morning and poach some eggs on top for breakfast with flour tortillas. Ole' !

Last edited:
Your name is Chopper and you don't have a grinder :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. I am better now ;)

Andy's idea of adding baking soda to cut the acid is a good one. I also don't use sugar in my sauce, I finely chop some carrot. It adds a little colour as well. Chop it really fine or you can grate it as well then chop the gratings.

I would definitely do the sauce thing.

Do you think it would be ok to re freeze? I had it frozen, and thawed it a couple of days before chopping it off of the mother ship.
"They" don't recommend re-freezing raw meat for food safety reasons. Better to cook it and then decide if you're going to freeze it

Could you chop it up and make a casserole type thing which you could cool and freeze for later?

And........the answer is......I ended up chopping it up and cooking it like Kayelle had suggested and then freezing it for another time. It will make a great breakfast. I love all of the other ideas I got here and will keep them all in mind because Safeway has the pork shoulder on sale again, and since there aren't any left in the deep freeze, I will need to put one in there. Thank you all so much. You are the greatest!

If your next roast is purchased unfrozen, you could cut it in half before you freeze it, then you will automatically have 2 meals from it.

I think I would have cut up that piece of roast and added it to the rest of the roast for the pulled pork. I don't have a very good imagination when it comes to cooking.

If you go to yard sales or flea markets, you should be able to pick up a grinder for a few dollars. I used to have one that attached to my old mixer. Now I have one that I bought at a flea market. Don't use it much, but it's nice to have when you need it.

Back
Top Bottom