Need a book that teaches me the basics so to speak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlallen90

Assistant Cook
I have looked all over Amazon and all over google to try and find the type of book that I am looking for. When I say a book to teach me the basics I don't mean such as basic cooking. I'm looking for a book that talks about what spice or seasoning to use to get this flavor. A book that talks about techniques, glazes and so on. Like why would I use cumin or thyme, when is it appropriate to use this or that. Something that is more specific about individual ingredients, something that isn't so much as geared towards recipes but how to achieve a certain flavor. I'm not at a loss for what to cook, I'm at a loss for how to cook things and what I should use to obtain flavors. All my friends and family tell me that my cooking is fantastic but I feel like I cook kind of the same way and I'm ready to expand my horizons and branch out and try some new things. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Years ago, I got the Encyclopedia of Herbs and Spices, published by Hermes House. A huge and beautiful book, with lots of good info, recipes, you name it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom