Soup Base

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
What is the difference between Soup Base and Bullion? I have always put bullion in my vegetable soup but I recently bought Beef Flavor Soup Base and plan to use it the next time I make soup.

The soup base I have bought seems to have a lot more ingredients in it. More of a well rounded flavor. Do you have both on hand you can compare?

A good paste soup base will have a much richer and robust flavor than a dry bouillon cube.

So true .. there is a huge difference.

I just wish they didn't have to put sooooooooooooo much salt in it.

I was hoping the soup base would be less salty, but it isn't.

However ..the flavor is so much better . You can taste the "reality" rather than the "fakery".

I made a pot of soup this week and used the rest of my bullion. I think it tastes pretty good, but I also use beef bones, onion and celery to flavor my broth. I was not aware that the soup base is a paste, not a powder. I think I will also get a jar of boullion to have on hand for other uses.

I tend to make my own soup bases. Veggie stock is easy to make and a great way to use up the odds and ends. If I don't have veggie stock, I will use water because the veggies add the flavor (think I saw Micheal on The Chew the other day recommend the same thing). Turkey/chicken/beef stock are a bit trickier to get that deep, rich flavor, but once mastered, it is so easy to make one's own stocks and not spend $$ on them.

Here's an easy veggie stock recipe. I use fresh or frozen tomatoes in place of ketchup and a bit of Frank's hot sauce.

Vegetable Stock Recipe

I keep Minor's chicken base and beef base in the fridge. It's a paste in a plastic tub and you just spoon some out and go.

I keep Minor's chicken base and beef base in the fridge. It's a paste in a plastic tub and you just spoon some out and go.

Curiosity got the best of me and I had to open mine to see. It is a paste, not a powder like bullion. I tasted it and it was very salty. Bullion is salty too. I didn't add any salt to my soup. I didn't think it needed it, but some wo ate it added salt. It had a good beefy taste, though.

Curiosity got the best of me and I had to open mine to see. It is a paste, not a powder like bullion. I tasted it and it was very salty. Bullion is salty too. I didn't add any salt to my soup. I didn't think it needed it, but some wo ate it added salt. It had a good beefy taste, though.

It's very salty because it's concentrated - it's highly reduced stock. When you mix it with water to make broth, it's less salty.

I use Better than Bouillon chicken and beef base?

Last edited:
It's very salty because it's concentrated - it's highly reduced stock. When you mix it with water to make broth, it's less salty.

I've used BtB as well. Usually I get their veggie base when I brine my Thanksgiving turkey.

The only one they had in our store was Bellview, which is a small company in a town near here. The jar was twice a big as the bullion jar. It was $3.99 for 16 oz, on sale from $4.29. The bullion jar was half the size for $1.50.

I used to get Minors at BJs but we don't have a membership anymore so I'm at a loss unless I mail order.

The only one they had in our store was Bellview, which is a small company in a town near here. The jar was twice a big as the bullion jar. It was $3.99 for 16 oz, on sale from $4.29. The bullion jar was half the size for $1.50.

The higher price reflects the higher quality - the soup base includes actual meat products and not just flavorings. And I believe the soup base makes more cups of stock than the bouillon cubes.

Hey GG, how long does the base last?
I don't recall seeing an exp date on it and was surprised it did not need refrigerated. It always seems to have the same flavor and consistency, so I really don't worry about it... too much... but I am curious.

+1
Also, very salty things don't spoil as easily. The soup base requires less processing (pressure canning) to remain shelf stable at room temperature. And as said, the flavor is very concentrated. I don't generally add salt to soups or sauces that I use soup base in. I too like the flavor of the Better Than Bouillon brand.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hey GG, how long does the base last?
I don't recall seeing an exp date on it and was surprised it did not need refrigerated. It always seems to have the same flavor and consistency, so I really don't worry about it... too much... but I am curious.

The lid says "Sell by Dec 3 14," but there's no expiration date. It also says "For best results, refrigerate after opening." I agree with the Chief that the high salt content will preserve it, I think till I use it up ;)

It also says it makes 38 servings, or 38 cups of broth, which equals 9.5 quarts.

Last edited:
hmmm, mine just might be older than when they started putting dates on then... oops.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom