Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   The Great DC Smoke Off (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/the-great-dc-smoke-off-88744.html)

Rocket_J_Dawg 01-22-2014 09:42 PM

The Great DC Smoke Off

Thanks to Macgyver1968's thread, and to pacanis' suggestion to quit smoking, I have taken a personal pledge, along with my wife to quit smoking. Tomorrow we are picking up a couple of "Ecigs". We have a lot of help from former smokers here at DC to help us along. Anyone else on board??....we can help one another.:smile:
By the way....today is weedless Wednesday here in Canada. What better day to start than that.

PrincessFiona60 01-22-2014 09:51 PM

What ever you do, do NOT throw all your ashtrays away. That is a sure way to jinx yourself. Keep at least one, cleaned and put away.

Rocket_J_Dawg 01-22-2014 09:57 PM

The only one we have is the one out on the balcony. We don't smoke in the house. I'll nail it to the table for good luck..:lol:

Steve Kroll 01-22-2014 10:45 PM

Good luck to you. You can do it.

My wife and I made a similar pledge and quit cold turkey on January 1st, 2000. That was 14 years ago and neither of us has had a cigarette since. Both my parents died relatively young from smoking related illnesses, so that was my incentive.

Kayelle 01-22-2014 10:59 PM

I'm here to support anyone who wants or needs it with quitting tobacco. As a life long smoker (minus 15 yrs), I'm the last person to preach about evil cigarettes as if the truth be known, I still miss them.

I smoked my last cigarette Oct 4th 2011 when I was wheeled off a cruise ship bound for a NYC hospital after I had developed a serious respiratory infection 3,000 miles from home. When the doctors said I wasn't "fit to fly" home because my oxygen levels were so low, home seemed very far away indeed. After 4 days of hell in the hospital, and being told by the experts that cigarettes were not in my future if I wanted to live, I never smoked another, and flew to "home sweet home".
For a while I did ok without my "old friends" and then I discovered ecigs which have the crutch of something to do with my hands, and yes, an amount of nicotine without the all the other nasties of tobacco. Because of the popularity of ecigs, I know the tobacco industry is not happy, or is the government for the lack of taxes for cigarettes. The jury is still out about how harmful nicotine itself is, but most reports show it's about as harmful as caffeine, and that's good enough for me.

Dawgluver 01-22-2014 11:07 PM

Ecigs keep me sane when I can't smoke. Sadly, Chicago is now trying to treat them like regular cigs, making ecig folks go outside along with the "analog" smokers. We will certainly try to not fly out of O'Hare!

Both my parents smoked, though my dad quit for 40 years. He always said he could easily pick up the habit again. Mom had quit shortly before she died.

PrincessFiona60 01-22-2014 11:09 PM

Shrek is currently trying with the Blu ecigs. Not quite doing it for him. But he will stop...sooner or later.

My last cigarette was January 7th, 2011. I quit with the help of Chantix and Xanax. And I will never be a crazed non-smoker...I'm still a smoker, it's just been a while since I had my last one.

Dawgluver 01-22-2014 11:11 PM

I use South Beach menthols, they taste more like the real deal. I didn't care for the Blu menthol. Like Kayelle, I need the thing to keep my hands busy.

Kayelle 01-22-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1338711)
Ecigs keep me sane when I can't smoke. Sadly, Chicago is now trying to treat them like regular cigs, making ecig folks go outside along with the "analog" smokers. We will certainly try to not fly out of O'Hare!

Both my parents smoked, though my dad quit for 40 years. He always said he could easily pick up the habit again.

Just go in the bathroom stall and have a seat Dawg. :smile: There's no smoke and tobacco smell. I do it all the time in airports, just to avoid any hassle. Actually, in other circumstances I still like to stand with cigarette smokers with my ecig. They are the nicest most friendly people I meet.

PrincessFiona60 01-22-2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1338716)
Just go in the bathroom stall and have a seat Dawg. :smile: There's no smoke and tobacco smell. I do it all the time in airports, just to avoid any hassle. Actually, in other circumstances I still like to stand with cigarette smokers with my ecig. They are the nicest most friendly people I meet.

The smoking crowd are also very much interested in the e-cigs and ask excellent questions.