"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-22-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
Senior Cook
I almost died

I haven't been around for the last week, because I had a heart attack a week ago, and spent 4 days in the hospital. I have no memory of the event or the first 3 days I was in the hospital. It's good to be alive.

The paramedics gave me CPR...saved my life, but broke the hell out of a bunch of my ribs...I haven't been able to sleep, because no position I tried to sleep in bed didn't cause me pain. I actually tried sleeping my desk chair last night. That didn't work

Fortunately, I saw my primary care doctor today and he prescibed me some pain meds, and they are working well...so I can sneeze without almost blacking out from the pain. :) Looking forward to a good night sleep tonight.

Macgyver1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
Master Chef
OMG Mitch, that's horrible! Sure am glad you're still around with us. Guess the worry and stress of the feared drama with your sister at Christmas dinner finally caught up with you. Sorry about your ribs but they will heal, so I suppose that's a small price to pay for living. Hope your recovery and rehab go smoothly for you In the meantime I'm sure you'll be getting plenty of advice from the heart attack survivors here at DC.

... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:07 AM   #3
Senior Cook
My sister actually started CPR until the paramedics got there. Guess I'm going to have to kiss her butt for a while. :)
Macgyver1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
What they don't show you on TV is that EMS personnel usually start with a hard punch right to the middle of the chest. And if that doesn't work, they do compressions with all their strength. Most CPR patients end up alive, but with broken ribs. Your heart is protected behind those ribs.

Sorry, no advice here from a heart patient. I am sure you got your instructions from the hospital.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Holy crap that's scary. Glad you are OK. Here's to a healthier future!
I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
Mac, you're a lucky dude. I'm glad someone was there to call for help and keep things going. That happened to me too and any other day I would have been home alone. The rib pain is awful but goes away. Hang in there things will get better.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm so sorry to hear about that but glad you'll be okay. And I hope you finally got a good night's sleep.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Wow! That's scary! I am surprised that you are out of the hospital already. Around here, after they got you stablized they would be doing tests to see what caused the heart attack and what they were going to do about it.

Hope your rib heal quickly.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
Executive Chef
mitch, we are so glad that you survived a life-threatening heart attack, sorry that your ribs were broken, and are causing you pain and discomfort. ribs are notoriously slow to heal, so you'll be needing both patience and pain meds to see you through.... did you have a history of a heart condition that you were aware of, mitch? be sure to include a heart-healthy diet and a sensible exercise plan to follow during your recovery, and going forward. take good care of yourself, it's great to be alive and have friends who care about you.
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
Wine Guy
Can't offer any advice on the heart attack, but I can sympathize with broken ribs. I had several ribs broken in a car accident years ago when the air bag deployed, and I have to say it's one of the most painful things I've ever been through. Every deep breath is excruciating, and forget trying to laugh.

Take care of yourself. Hope you have a complete recovery, and you're up and around soon.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote