Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Farm to Table (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f165/)
-   -   Cucumber storage... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f165/cucumber-storage-90446.html)

Kayelle 07-23-2014 11:20 AM

Cucumber storage...

I don't remember who, but someone recently was complaining about her refrigerator not keeping cucumbers well. I ran across this interesting article for all you cucumber growers......

Don’t store your cucumbers in the fridge | Root Simple

taxlady 07-23-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1376603)
I don't remember who, but someone recently was complaining about her refrigerator not keeping cucumbers well. I ran across this interesting article for all you cucumber growers......

Donít store your cucumbers in the fridge | Root Simple

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

GotGarlic 07-23-2014 11:39 AM

I was just thinking about that yesterday, wondering whether it was best to keep them in the fridge or not. Thanks for the link :smile:

Dawgluver 07-23-2014 11:53 AM

Well, I just took mine out of the fridge. Guess what's for lunch today?

Thanks for the link, Kayelle.

Addie 07-23-2014 12:18 PM

Well, it look like I will be setting them on the counter next to my tomatoes that I set stem side down. The tomatoes last longer that way. Thanks to ATK for that tip. One of my favorite snacks is cukes and tomatoes sliced in rice vinegar and olive oil.

Thanks for the link Kayelle. :angel:

Zagut 07-23-2014 12:19 PM

I've always kept them on the counter or in a basket.
No reason. Just what I've always done.
Now I have a reason. :lol:

I do put them in the fridge sometimes before I use them because I like them cold. :yum:

Thanks for the link Kayelle. I'm sure I'm going to spend some time there.

Addie 07-23-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zagut (Post 1376636)
I've always kept them on the counter or in a basket.
No reason. Just what I've always done.
Now I have a reason. :lol:

I do put them in the fridge sometimes before I use them because I like them cold. :yum:

Thanks for the link Kayelle. I'm sure I'm going to spend some time there.

Well worth the read. I read the whole second page. Very interesting. I do need to stop buying potatoes in a five pound bag. I just don't eat enough of them to use them up. So I keep them in the bottom drawer of the fridge. Otherwise they sprout within two to three weeks. But I haven't seen and Maine or PEI loose potatoes in my grocery store. I don't like Russets. They are not what I grew up with and learned to love. :angel:

Cheryl J 07-23-2014 01:11 PM

Thanks for the link, Kay! I'll try that with my next cucumber.

Mad Cook 07-23-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1376603)

Donít store your cucumbers in the fridge | Root Simple

Thanks, Kayelle. I've been blaming my 'fridge for soggy cukes for ages. I'll keep them out in future.

Kayelle 07-23-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Cook (Post 1376754)
Thanks, Kayelle. I've been blaming my 'fridge for soggy cukes for ages. I'll keep them out in future.

AHH HAA, thanks for solving my mystery about who it was. :wink: