Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Olive Garden ripped by potential purchaser (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/olive-garden-ripped-by-potential-purchaser-90916.html)

GotGarlic 09-12-2014 01:43 PM

Olive Garden ripped by potential purchaser

I'm lmao reading this article: Olive Garden And Its Flavorless Pasta Get Ripped Apart In 294-Page Report

The report is a PowerPoint slideshow. If you want to read how corporate America tries to be a food critic, read this. OMG.

Andy M. 09-12-2014 02:00 PM

Olive Garden isn't a regular stop for us. There are better choices.

GotGarlic 09-12-2014 02:44 PM

It isn't for me, either. I just thought the article was funny.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 09-12-2014 02:59 PM

Olive Garden food it made at a central location and shipped to the individual restaurants in plastic bags to be reheated. You might as well go to the groshree store and buy a boil-in-bag meal!

Steve Kroll 09-12-2014 04:10 PM

I can't believe I'm actually going to defend a chain restaurant. While I agree OG isn't the greatest, I'll also say I've had far worse.

Last year when I was hobbling around on crutches with a broken ankle, I needed to find sit-down lunch options close to my office that were reasonably priced and easy to get in/out of (i.e. not crowded, and with good handicapped access). This limited me to an Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, Big Bowl, and a few fast food chains with a drive-thru.

I couldn't stomach the fast food (literally), so I would trade off between the other three. I learned there are some things at Olive Garden that are better than others. As mentioned, the pasta, for the most part, was fairly bland and overcooked. The sauces were a mixed bag. I did find the ravioli to be one of the better options. Maybe only because it had filling to detract from the blandness.

Overall, I also thought their lunch pizzas were pretty good. The crust had good flavor and texture, although there was one time I had one come out undercooked.

That article is pretty funny, though. The whole debate over breadsticks, for example.

GotGarlic 09-12-2014 04:14 PM

Seriously! Breadsticks wasted? Everyone takes them home, don't they? I do like the soup/salad /breadsticks special. I've made a copycat recipe of the chicken and gnocchi soup, which is really good.

Dawgluver 09-12-2014 04:22 PM

Olive Garden ripped by potential purchaser

I enjoyed the article. And OG is pretty decent here. Nearest one is about 45 minutes away. I don't care much for pasta, so usually have the soup, salad and breadsticks too. I like their Pasta e Fagioli soup, and make a really good knock-off of it. (And, I just realized, without the pasta!)

Addie 09-12-2014 04:26 PM

The closest Olive Garden to me is out in the suburbs. I have too many authentic Italian restaurants available to me to waste my money and travel time on OG. There is a reason why they never tried to enter the market in this area. :angel:

Dawgluver 09-12-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1386898)
The closest Olive Garden to me is out in the suburbs. I have too many authentic Italian restaurants available to me to waste my money and travel time on OG. There is a reason why they never tried to enter the market in this area. :angel:

Indeed, authentic Italian would trump OG anytime. Sadly, we don't always have that luxury here.

GotGarlic 09-12-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1386898)

And of course you can just save your money since you hate going out to any restaurant. We know...