Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Beef (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Not sure what to call this, but it was really good. (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/not-sure-what-to-call-this-but-it-was-really-good-92712.html)

Chief Longwind Of The North 04-08-2015 09:37 PM

Not sure what to call this, but it was really good.
 
I was in the mood for something like Salisbury Steak, but more flavorful. So I made this:

Ingredients:
1/3 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup left over bread dressing from a recently roasted turkey.
1 medium egg
1 tbs. milk.

Combine all ingredients until well mixed. Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat. Lightly oil the pan when it's hot. Dump the meat mixture into the middle of the pan, and shape into an eighth inch thick, round patty. Cover with a lid and fry for four minutes. Flip the patty, cover, and fry for four more minutes. Remove to a plate and serve with ketchup. We had green beans and steamed summer squash to go with it.

The stuffing was made of dried bread chunks, sliced celery, sliced onion, meat from the turkey neck, sage, enough turkey broth to moisten the bread chunks, thyme, and chopped onion.

The combined flavors of the beef and stuffing was a marriage made in my kitchen. (not Heaven, but close, ok, a long ways away:lol:). The flavor combination is worth repeating, many times.:chef: I'm thinking this would make a good meatloaf as well.

If you have the urge to experiment, try this recipe. If not, that's ok. I'll make more for me and feel sorry for the rest of you:ohmy:. Just kidding.:angel: You are all such great cooks around here, I wish I was eating at your house.

So make up this patty, and give it a proper name. I can't seem to come up with one.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Bookbrat 04-08-2015 09:55 PM

Stuffsbury Steak? Annnnnnd....that's all I got.

We had similar burgers tonight, only grilled. Our beef is pretty lean so I add an egg and tonight I threw in a handful of panko so it wouldn't fall apart on the grill. I think stuffing would be excellent.

menumaker 04-09-2015 09:36 AM

Forcemeat-beef burgerette?? :cool:

RPCookin 04-09-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puffin3 (Post 1417053)
So the patty was 1/8th inch thick? And you fried it covered for a total of 8 minutes?
Something isn't adding up.

Yeah... 1/8" thick is wafer thin. Even 1/4" would be extremely thin, and cooked 8 minutes would be beyond well done.

I do a Salisbury steak sort of thing that I like, and my father-in-law is crazy about it. It takes one pound of ground beef, then I mix in a couple of teaspoons of Montreal steak seasoning, one medium green bell pepper, finely diced, one or two tsp. of Worcestershire sauce, one egg, and 1/2 - 3/4 cups of breadcrumbs. I shape 3 patties from a pound of hamburger, each about 3/4" thick, 2" wide and oval shaped. I brown the patties on fairly high heat for a couple of minutes on each side, then I remove them from the pan, pour off excess fat leaving 1 or 2 tablespoons, and saute one onion that has been halved and sliced and separated until it's soft. I then pour in 2 cups of beef stock, make a slurry of 1/4 cup water and 2 tbs. of cornstarch to thicken, then return the meat to the pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Sometimes I'll just use a couple of packages of onion or mushroom gravy mix instead of the stock, make that in a separate pan and pour it over the onions and patties, then simmer. Serve with mashed potatoes and favorite veggie (lightly glazed carrots go well with this).

puffin3 04-09-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by menumaker (Post 1417055)
Forcemeat-beef burgerette?? :cool:

I think I had one of those patties in a A&W 'Buddy-Burger'. LOL

Dawgluver 04-09-2015 10:21 AM

I suspect the 1/8 inch patty may be a typo. What say you, Chief?

puffin3 04-09-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPCookin (Post 1417056)
I do a Salisbury steak sort of thing that I like, and my father-in-law is crazy about it. It takes one pound of ground beef, then I mix in a couple of teaspoons of Montreal steak seasoning, one medium green bell pepper, finely diced, one or two tsp. of Worcestershire sauce, one egg, and 1/2 - 3/4 cups of breadcrumbs. I shape 3 patties from a pound of hamburger, each about 3/4" thick, 2" wide and oval shaped. I brown the patties on fairly high heat for a couple of minutes on each side, then I remove them from the pan, pour off excess fat leaving 1 or 2 tablespoons, and saute one onion that has been halved and sliced and separated until it's soft. I then pour in 2 cups of beef stock, make a slurry of 1/4 cup water and 2 tbs. of cornstarch to thicken, then return the meat to the pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Sometimes I'll just use a couple of packages of onion or mushroom gravy mix instead of the stock, make that in a separate pan and pour it over the onions and patties, then simmer. Serve with mashed potatoes and favorite veggie (lightly glazed carrots go well with this).

That sounds delicious!

Chief Longwind Of The North 04-09-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1417062)
I suspect the 1/8 inch patty may be a typo. What say you, Chief?

Ok, I don't visualize measurements very well. Think of the volume of a half lb. burger, 4 inches in diameter. I looked at a tape measure, and I'm thinking that this patty was a half inch thick. I didn't make a typo, I made a mistake in guessing the measurement.

I'm not fond of super-thin burgers, like those served at fast-food joints. I like to litteraly sink my teeth into the patty I'm eating.:yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

tinlizzie 04-10-2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North (Post 1417032)
I was in the mood for something like Salisbury Steak, but more flavorful. So I made this:

Ingredients:
1/3 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup left over bread dressing from a recently roasted turkey.
1 medium egg
1 tbs. milk.

So make up this patty, and give it a proper name. I can't seem to come up with one.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Turkamoo patties?

Kayelle 04-10-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinlizzie (Post 1417202)
Turkamoo patties?

Perfect name, lizzie!:wink:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.