Glass liquid measuring cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I have a glass measuring cup that I'd like to re etch. The lines are becoming very difficult to read. I'm guilty of putting this glass in the dishwasher every time I use it. I am hoping to find something equivalent to a salt water etching that can be done on metal. Does anyone know any tricks to re etch the measuring marks on the outside of the glass measuring cup? I'm really tempted to take the cutting disc on my Dremel and try to work in some new lines.

I have a glass measuring cup that I'd like to re etch. The lines are becoming very difficult to read. I'm guilty of putting this glass in the dishwasher every time I use it. I am hoping to find something equivalent to a salt water etching that can be done on metal. Does anyone know any tricks to re etch the measuring marks on the outside of the glass measuring cup? I'm really tempted to take the cutting disc on my Dremel and try to work in some new lines.

Think of how much you earn on an hourly basis. Now guestimate how many hours you will spend doing this, then go buy a new one!;)

I recently noticed one of my 2-cup measuring cups was getting harder to read because the painted markers were fading. I bought new one for not a lot of money.

Unless your measuring cup has some special value to you, it's not worth the effort.

I agree with others, look for a new one.

I would also try touching up the original markings with a permanent marker. It won't last forever but it will be a cheap quick temporary fix.

I agree about getting a new one, but if you're anything like my husband, he loves any opportunity to get out his Dremel motor tool. He loves that thing, so go for it.

Last edited:
Gotta love the Dremel. I'd get a new measuring cup, and then play around with the old one. Not sure I'd use the cutting wheel, I would use the finer etching bit. It will take a steady hand, or a masking tape guide. Wear your safety glasses.

Last edited:
I'm no help as far as re-etching or re-painting, but just wanted to mention I'm using the same Pyrex measuring cups that I've had for decades and the measuring lines still look like new. They've seen the inside of a dishwasher countless times. I have a 4-cup, two 2-cups, and 2 one-cups.

I would go ahead and buy new, unless this particular measuring glass is of sentimental value to you. I can certainly understand that, I've got lots of kitchen tools that have that value for me that I'll never part with. :)

Mine are all at least 20 years old. Don't know what I would do without my 4 cup measures! I use them to mix stuff, as well as to store things like sauces in the fridge. None of mine have faded either, and all three go in the dishwasher.

Glass -
2 - 8 cup (1 with cover)
2 - 4 cup (1 with cover)
1 - 2 cup
1 - 1 cup

I also have assorted plastic

Actually, my 2 cup and 1 cup go back to wedding shower stuff.. That was back in the day when a young bride had never left home, and needed everything to outfit a kitchen. Things like that were really appreciated. Geeze, I even remember who gave them to me, wrapped in two pretty hand embroiderd white flour sack tea towels.
I've never had a 4 cup..I should get one.

Last edited:
I love all three of my 4 cuppers. I have one cover, and it looks like a snaggle toothed rat grazed on it. Otherwise, plastic wrap works just fine.

Last edited:
I love the 4 cup Pyrex too, and use it a lot. It's big enough that I can use the wire whisk in it for salad dressings etc. without splattering, and the pour spout is a plus. Multi-tasker. :LOL: Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind having an extra as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom