A different dip for everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I was at the "Better Than Bouillon" site. Saw an interesting recipe for a dip.

One tsp. of BTB (flavor your choice) and one pint of sour cream. With their low sodium flavors, and new flavors coming out, you can get a lot of new ideas for dips. Even for Vegans. They have a low sodium of roasted vegetables flavor. And they are coming out soon with Roasted Garlic. Now that one interests me. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
A packet of Hidden Valley Ranch added to 8 oz sour cream, with vege crudités. This has been around since the late 1980s at least. Still pretty good though the last time I made it a couple or 3 years ago.

Is this a thread for dip ideas? Oooohh, I have some!

A packet of Good Seasons Italian dressing mix with a pint of (some mixture of sour cream/plain yogurt/mayo) and 1/4 cup each minced red and green bell peppers.

Packet of Hidden Valley Ranch mixed with softened cream cheese, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup beer. This can be molded into shapes like a Christmas tree or a football for a Super Bowl party and then decorated with veggies and cheese.

Good old spinach-artichoke dip - cream cheese, thawed frozen spinach, drained chopped canned artichoke hearts, salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne. Healthy! :LOL:

Last edited:
I usually mix up a packet of Lipton Recipe Secrets Vegetable Soup, a pint of sour cream, a dash of cayenne and a squirt of Worcestershire sauce.

Velveeta Beer Dip used to be really popular around our old neighborhood. We would basically mix a 2# brick of Velveeta with a bottle of beer and pour it into the hollowed-out shell of pumpernickel bread, using the chunks from the innards for scooping. I just googled it now, though, and found two new-and-improved versions. I just might have to try a smaller version of each of these.

Guinness Beer Dip

Alex's Beer Cheese Fondue Dip

My mom would make a dip with sour cream and beef bouillon. We liked it with celery sticks. She would soften a cube in just enough water to make a paste and mix it with the sour cream. I have BTB here and never thought to use it like that!

Gee, I am so glad I started this thread. Keep the ideas coming folks. Perfect for party time for Christmas, Hanukah, Quwanza and New Years parties.

Good idea for a thread, Addie! A can of Rotel mixed with cream cheese, nuked, always disappears fast. We like Rotel nuked with Velveeta too.

The ever-popular Seven-Layer Dip. I use:

1 - refried beans
2 - sour cream mixed with 2 tbsp taco seasoning
3 - guacamole
4 - shredded lettuce
5 - diced tomato
6 - salsa
7 - shredded sharp cheddar
7.5 - garnish with minced green onions

Serve with tortilla chips.

According to Better Than Bouillon they have a Mushroom kind. Do you think this is the same as powdered mushrooms? I need to pump up a mushroom stroganoff to max flavor--

At our house, who knew a simple dip has political implications. Christmas Eve we are serving pickled herring on crackers. The two oldest bros' will enjoy this, as will we. That means no smoked salmon/ smoked fish dip.

The ideal dip should be no alcohol ( no beer cheese dip), vegetarian friendly, not too spicy, no blue cheese, no "weird" flavors, that means nothing un-familiar, so no hummus, no pesto, and Specifically my favorite-- Guacamole is vetoed !
"You always serve this". "Yes, and it's always gone in a flash". Well, I agree, it probably is ever present, and I probably eat half of it.

I was looking thru my recipes, and discovered this Oldie we've been making for about 40+ years although we haven't made recently. I'm going to offer it as a possibility when I see Dx later this weekend.

Beau Monde Dip

1 c. sour cream
1 c. mayonnaise
1 Tb dried parsley ( use fresh snipped)
1 Tb dried dill weed (use fresh snipped
1 Tb finely chopped green onion or chives
1 tsp. Spice Islands Beau Monde
Mix. Chill. Eat. Best made the day before serving.

Not sure how accurate this is. If can't find Beau Monde= substitute equal parts celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder

Last edited:
According to Better Than Bouillon they have a Mushroom kind. Do you think this is the same as powdered mushrooms? I need to pump up a mushroom stroganoff to max flavor--

I don't know about BTB, but it's not that hard to make powdered mushrooms. Just make sure you have some really dry porcini (might need to put in oven for a few if they are at all soft, cool) and whiz them in a coffee/spice grinder until you have a powder. We do it all the time and it does get added to stroganoff, among other things.

BTB also has lobster and clam. I already have the clam. I use it for clam chowder. Have to try it for a dip though.

What can I say. I am a New Englander born under Boston Harbor. The sea will always be my first love. :angel:

Can of chopped clams, undrained. Softened cream cheese. Drop or two of worschestershire, drop or two of Tabasco. Some Greek yogurt or sour cream to thin it out if you like. Mix well.

I don't know about BTB, but it's not that hard to make powdered mushrooms. Just make sure you have some really dry porcini (might need to put in oven for a few if they are at all soft, cool) and whiz them in a coffee/spice grinder until you have a powder. We do it all the time and it does get added to stroganoff, among other things.

I adore porcini mushroom powder. I put super dry ones in a table pepper grinder, and grind away over all kinds of food, even my scrambled eggs.

Last edited:
I got some dried porcini from Oregon Mushroom. I immediately powdered up a bunch in my spice/coffee grinder, and it lives in a little magnetic jar that sticks to the side of my fridge next to my stove. I use it in just about everything!

Last edited:
I think my all time favorite is a simple baked dip I've done for years in a pretty ceramic pie plate that belonged to my Mom.

1 14 oz water packed can of artichoke hearts drained and rough chop.
1/2 cup of Best Foods (Helmans) mayo
1/2 cup of Kraft Parmesan in the green shaker. Caution, don't get fancy like I did once. Expensive freshly grated Parm does not work.

Mix it all up in the pretty pie plate and bake at 375 till toasty brown on top.
Best served with Triscuit crackers.

Last edited:
Can of chopped clams, undrained. Softened cream cheese. Drop or two of worschestershire, drop or two of Tabasco. Some Greek yogurt or sour cream to thin it out if you like. Mix well.

Oh that sounds so good. Next shopping trip, sour cream and chips. I have a can of baby clams. I always keep them on hand for clam chowder.

Right now I am munching on cream cheese and liverwurst. Yum! :angel:

I'm really enjoying reading through this thread. Several I've made before, some are new to me. I'll be keeping up with all these great ideas, for sure! :yum:

I love spinach artichoke dip. There's a rustic little restaurant along the Kern River that makes a fabulous one. It's a little different - there's no cream cheese and from what I can tell, the main binder is olive oil. Next time I go there I'll pay a little more attention. Spinach, artichokes, parm, and there's another cheese in there too - maybe gruyere...? It's made on site and served hot with huge warmed soft pretzels. :yum: I'd love to try to re-create it sometime, they're known for it and sometimes that's all people order. Well, that and beer, because the restaurant is in a brewery. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom